Shopping Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPD_Mrs

First we want to thank all of you who have given us great information from all your trials and errors. Through your postings of what you have tried and hated and tried and loved tool wise, we were able to make some great decissions in our year end tool purchases.[8D]

WoodCraft had the Jet wet sharpener for $299 with the cabinet base and truing jig. Bought the Tormak skew and the gouge jigs. When you guys talked about scary sharp we had no clue[:I] The Tormak gouge jig is far better than the Jet. We also found out how far off we were sharpening our old way.[:0] Took a while to get the skew back to the correct angles. What a joy to have sharp tools again.

We also picked up the OneWay Talon chuck and Santa delivered the Drill Doctor 750. Now all we need to do is buy more wood and make saw dust.[:p]

Thanks for letting us gloat and happy new year to all of IAP.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

You ain't kidding about making great purchases! .... [:p] <---- me, green with envy [:D]

I did grab that killer deal on the Jet wet sharpener when Amazon had it for $167 and free shipping... and will add some jigs along the way....

Thanks for posting about the Tormek gouge jig being better than the Jet... I have been hemming and haawwwing about that Jet jig because it just looks kinda cheesy and cheap...

You just passed the legacy of helping others on! .... thanks!

Mike and Linda -

I bought the Jet wet sharpener about a year ago, but it wasn't until this week that I decided to fully follow the instructions on the video. That makes a world of difference. Now that I know how to do it the right way, I, too, know what "scary sharp" means.

Enjoy your new Christmas presents.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
A suggestion on the gouge jig. Get several, that way you can leave them on the setting of your most used tools. At the moment I only have one but am planning on getting more so I can leave one on my skew setting. That way when I want to touch up my skew all I have to do is pop it on and go to the Tormek and in about a minute I'm back to turning[:)]

DocStram

Whoaaa! A Jet wet sharpener withi the cabinet, Tormek jigs, a OneWay Talon chuck ... and a Drill Doctor 750??? What a great wife! Linda, if you ever decide to dump that bum please call me. I have lots of pen blanks! [;)][;)]

IPD_Mrs

It's a good thing you ARE married, because you are about halfway between us and where Linda wants to live.[;)] One day we will figure a way to call the Florida Keys home![^] Every year in December we usually take a quick look at our gross sales for the year and try to lower our bottom line a bit with a few equipment purchases. Linda does have her limits though and gave me the "wife" look when they started demoing the SawStop for me. This thing looks awesome compaired to the Delta Cabinet Saw we have. http://www.sawstop.com

Linda has been out in the shop with me all day milling lumber for an order. I have tried to tell her how much it means to me that she enjoys being in the shop.

Hey can someone give me a clue as to what is the best way to sharpen a spindlemaster? I haven't looked at it real close but I dont think the gouge jig will be of much help.

Dale thanks for the tip as Linda like a little different angle on her gouge than I do. She is so picky, I don't know how she settled for me![:p]

Mike

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Actually the gouge jig is the proper jig. I just sharpened two of them today. My Tormek book didn't say anything about the settings for them so you'll have to play around to get it but basically its the same set up as a gouge. Color the bevel with a magic marker, put the spindlemaster in the jig like a gouge, then adjust the arm on your Jet till you get the right angle and rock it back and forth like you do with a gouge till the marker is gone and hone and your done.

Edit. I should clarify that I was talking about the Skew/Roughing gouge jig. The bowl gouge jig is a different jig.

IPD_Mrs

The skew jig I have is the SVS-50 which they call a Multi Jig. I don't see any way that jig will work for a spindlemaster as it will not allow for a curve.

Mike

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
<br />The skew jig I have is the SVS-50 which they call a Multi Jig. I don't see any way that jig will work for a spindlemaster as it will not allow for a curve.

Mike

Yes, that is the correct jig. That is the one I used today. You put the spindlemaster in it using the V shape base like you do with the gouge. Then on the Jet you put it up against the are and rock it first lifting the left side then back and lift the right side and just keep repeating till your done. If your not clear on what I'm trying to describe try it with the Jet off and watch how the bevel rocks on the wheel as you roll the jig back and forth. Get your angle correct on the center of the spindlemaster as if it were a straight edge then roll it and see what happens. I will take some pictures and post so you can see how I do it.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
OK here are the pics to help explain
Here is the spindle master in the jig(sorry for the blurry photo)
spindlemaster.jpg

Next at the grinder
on%20grinder.jpg

Left
left.jpg

Right
right.jpg

I hope that clears up what I was trying to describe.
BTW my spindlemaster is not rusty, it just has wood dust all over it from the bowls I was turning earlier. [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom