PSI collet chuck review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaw

On Thursday I bought the new PSI Collet system. Because of being under the weather did not get to use it until Saturday. First off I have bought three tools this year which either help improving my pen making or improving productivity. They are General Maxi-Lathe, PH Vise and yes the PSI Collet system. The collect turned true with no run out. The collect system was very will made had no problems with right out of the box. No tools are required to change collects, just hand tighten and hand loosen. They do provided two knock our rods should the collet or the chuck become to tight to remove by hand so far did not need to use.
The only thing is the chuck is large so you have to beware of your fingers and knuckles not being hit by the chuck. So thing with the jacobs chuck So far I am very happy with the performance of the collet system. At 89.95 I think this is steal for what the collet will provide. This tool should be on your wish list if you do not already have a collet chuck. Pictures will follow soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
One thing was left out of your otherwise EXCELLENT review, and its something a lot of people have been wondering about in regard to the PSI Collet System......are the collets ER32, as used with the Beall Collet chuck? If not, do you know what they are? Good thing to know, so that you can add individual sizes which may not be available from PSI. Thanks for a fine review!

Dave_M

I bought the PSI Collet System today. I have to agree with the above comments. It's so much better than using a tapered arbor with the mandrel. I was having a hard time with the tapered arbor turning true. Today I added the collet to my Jet Mini and now the mandrel turns as smooth as glass. Using the arbor, I would always feel a very slight vibration from the mandrel.

True... the PSI Collet is a biggy. PSI says it's heavy duty instead of saying it's large. The set comes with a heavy duty (OK... large) collet head threaded for 1" x 8tpi. It also comes with a 3/4" x 16tpi lathe adapter to fit the collet head to the Turncrafter Plus. As far as the collet grip sizes, they are: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". The whole set comes in a heavy duty (not large) molded plastic storage case. It's a nice way to keep everything stored neatly in one place.

The only thing that disappointed me was my B mandrel was too large in diameter to slide through the 1/4" collet grip and too small to be used with the 3/8" collet grip. Using the 1/4" collet grip, the threaded end of the B mandrel slides into the 1/4" grip until the threads end. The non-threaded section of the mandrel will not slide through the grip. Bummer! So the B mandrel will work with the 1/4" collet grip but it can't function as an adjustable mandrel. The B mandrel fits the 1/4" grip just like it fits the tapered arbor. The A mandrel slides through just fine so the A mandrel can function as an adjustable mandrel using the 1/4" grip.

Overall I'm a happy camper.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dave,

I have the Beall set, and back in the summer I ordered a 5/16 from from Beall for my "B" mandrel. The 5/16 is $19.00 plus shipping. I haven't used it yet as I started the mandrel-less method shortly after I received it. I do use the Beall for other things though.

If I had started the no-mandrel method before ordering the Beall or even the 5/16 I would have saved even more money. As good as even the Beall is, the no-mandrel is EVERY bit as accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom