Scuffing LOTS of Brass Tubes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I am getting ready for the PA Farm Show where I demonstrate pen making by turning and finishing a pen. I donate all the pens I make to the Freedom Pens Project. I need to prep 100 brass tubes and of course they are not scuffed. So I came up with a quick and easy way to scuff the tubes. Now I have to go down and cut and drill 100 blanks. Oh MY ACHING.....

Scuffing the pen tube.jpg

That's one scuffed tube.

Scuffed Pen Tube.jpg

And it looks good!

So here are ALL the tubes scuffed! Took about 10-15 minutes and was very easy.

ALL the scuffed pen tubes.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Great Suggestion! Was the tube loose on the dowel so it would spin against the sanding disc, or was it a snug fit on the dowel and you had to turn the dowel to scuff all around the tube?

Good luck with the show!

bigcountry7

I just had to scuff up about 80, and I farmed it ot to my 7yo daughter. I had her put them on my pen mandrel to sand. It probably took her about as long. Two options same results

randyrls

Great Suggestion! Was the tube loose on the dowel so it would spin against the sanding disc, or was it a snug fit on the dowel and you had to turn the dowel to scuff all around the tube?

Good luck with the show!
The tube spins freely on the dowel. The trick is getting the correct angle about 45 degrees so the tube spins but the sandpaper still scuffs the tube.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use 2P-10 medium CA TO glue my tubes. I first check to make sure the tube slides into the blank easily, then I fully coat the tube with CA, then insert it with a twisting and in-out motion. Then i let it set for at least 24 hours to fully cure before turning

jttheclockman

I always scuff all tubes. What does it take 5 sec with a piece of sandpaper? When you are making hand made $200 to $500 pens you try to avoid all failures that you can control and that is surely one of them. Those that do not and use CA it is just their method and not the only method. I use Epoxy and it is known here that I am a big system3 T88 fan for epoxy needs. Have used 15 minute stuff a few times also but from same company. Good luck and you too will find your own method that works for you.

David350

I use the BSI (Bob Smith Industries) 5 minute Quik-Cure that one can get off Amazon. I've used it for 4-5 years with no issues at all. I can easily get 3 pens (double barrel) glued at a time before it starts to set up...

Top Bottom