Click don't Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Joe

I have made several Pens that were the twist type and a few clickers, I made one for a Lady, the Dog or Pet Pen and the clicker quit working my question is, what are thje chance of me getting it apart with out breaking or doing damage to the blank or the pen, or should I just replace the whole pen, help would should be appreciated, pics anything to help me not to fail, thanks in advance, Joe

Attachments

• IMG_7532.jpg
    IMG_7532.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 82
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

If you didn't glue the ends on the odds are pretty good.

You might wiggle the ends off using those grippy jar openers.

For the top end you need a tube from another kit that just slips inside the kit tube and is long enough so you can tap on it while holding the blank.

Not familiar with that pen but the answer is "it depends". It's always worth the try but (esp with an acrylic body) you run the risk of cracking the acrylic. I've had some success by (as "wouldentu2?" says above) by wiggling the body back and forth (gently, now!) to loosen the friction grip the mechanism has on the tube. It should take several tries and a couple minutes. If you can do that without damage, then you're in good shape.
Another option is to get a set of transfer punches and knock it out that way. They're available from PSI. I think they refer to them as "disassembly" tools. Both options run the significant risk of damage to the pen. But, hey, it's dead anyway, so go for it.
Assuming it's toast, once the mechanism is out, you'll need to get another mechanism which will NOT fit securely. It will be too loose. Ed from Exotic Blanks recommends NOT using CA to secure it. He suggests Locktite. Whatever you use, do it lightly and ONLY on the interior surfaces.
Good luck

Pen Joe

Thanks Wouldentu2 and Ted for your help, I will do my besty to get it to come apart with distruction, I do have a transfer set of Machinist center punches that should work fine, I probably will get an extra pen in case, but like a lot of us I would rather repair than replace, thanks again for you help, I do appreciate it so, Joe

Pen Joe

Fellows I did manage to get it seperated, headted slightly with a Bic lighter warpped some raw hide leather around it then put it in the vise, just enough tighten for it not to turn and a few movements it came out, thanks for the advise, Joe

Top Bottom