red gun burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrane

I cut the blank 1'x1'x6' then picked out the best spot for the center cut.I then filled all the voids with seven small tubes of super glue.then let them set over night. I then drilled them out next morning. And used another tube of glue on the inside of the blanks.I then drilled them out again. I Then used polyurethane to glue the tubes in. Then on the lathe I had to stop four times to sharpen my gouge! sharp tools makes it easy to turn. It is a hard wood.but not to bad. I turned the ends down first then the middle I kept stopping and checking for voids. Then I finished with ca blo then wax/buffed. When we cut these burls the trees where dead. And all the sap was black and dried up. Why use redgum? the river redgum is

200682174822_100_0088_00.jpg

200682174859_100_0090_00.jpg

Australias most widespread and recognized timber and it produces a wood that is truly unique. it was used on the railway tracks allover australia with its strength and resistance to termites.it is truly a great tree!!:D

Dario

Thanks John. It sure was worth the effort.

I heard of black CA (though haven't tried it yet) might have worked better in this application don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom