HF 115 HSS TiN drill bit kit on sale $40

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Picked up the 115 bit kit, HSS TiN coated today. These seem to be pretty decent bits for the price. Nice knowing that I'll never need to order an Imperial bit again (well, till I wear one out on the Drill Doctor, 10 years from now).

It's normally $60 for this particular kit, and Grizzly lists the exact same kit for $70. $40 is a deal!

BTW, for what it's worth I believe the TiN coating stuff on drill bits is a LOAD OF POOPIE. I have a small set of Irwin TiN coated bits that I carry in my cabinet installation tool box. Drill 5-8 holes and most of the gold TiN coating is GONE from the tips. At least the base metal is HSS.

These are 118 deg. bits and will sharpen in even the lower-end drill doctors ------instead of the 135-deg bits that get a bizzar grind with the cheap Drill Doc.

But they are purdy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just wondering if the TiN coating is really worth the extra cost. When you sharpen the bit, isn't the TiN coating ground off?

Dario

The coating is on all exposed surface. When you sharpen, you just take off the ones at the tip...not the sides/flutes.

I got mine locally a couple of weeks or so ago. It was on sale then but for $49.99 I think.

Schneider

Got this set awhile back. Does all I want it to. I drill and tap metal, drill wood, etc. Also use drill Doc. Heck just the index it comes in is expensive.

Randy_

If you are looking for a smaller set, they also have a 29 piece set on sale for $9.99.

TN coated
Split point
135°
1/16" to 1/2" by 64ths

On a separate note, I don't quite understand what is meant by the following comment??

".....These are 118 deg. bits and will sharpen in even the lower-end drill doctors ------instead of the 135-deg bits that get a bizzar grind with the cheap Drill Doc....."

redfishsc

Randy, just know that some of the lower-end Drill Doctors cannot handle a 135-deg split point. It just makes a mess out of them.

The 115 TiN coated set is a 118 degree set and my DD 300 sharpens them great.

The TiN coating is bolony if you ask me. Kinda like flashy fishing lures, they're usually designed to catch more fishermen than fish.

I only got the set b/c I was on sale locally for $40 and has all the numbered and lettered drill sizes. I'll never have to buy another imperial-style drill bit again. And I can get metrics locally individually for a buck-fifty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom