Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

If I want to cast something that is 1 1/2" round with a 5/8" hole in the middle could I use a PVC tube with a piece of delrin rod or other such plastic glued into the middle?

I would think the resin would shrink away from the sides, and it won't stick to the delrin right?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

In a perfect world, I would say so. You dont want to drill the 5/8" hole to ensure that it will be centered?

I could, but I'd rather save the time and the supplies if I could get the hole somewhere near centered. I'd be saving roughly a pen blank worth of resin every pour if I did it that way versus drilling.

I suppose I could make a silicone mold like charlies ResinSaver molds and use the delrin as the "brass tube" if you will to get it perfectly centered.

Although diameter is critical in this application, not concentricity. I will be turning the outside to a shape, so a bit off center wouldn't make that much difference.

I think I may play with this a bit more in my mind and then maybe try it sometime.

Sylvanite

I've tried casting around a delrin rod - without much success. PR shrinks a little when curing. It doesn't stick to the delrin -- it grips the rod like a vice instead. I had to twist and yank like crazy to get them apart.

Just my experience - if you try, I hope you have better luck.

Regards,
Eric

jleiwig

I've tried casting around a delrin rod - without much success. PR shrinks a little when curing. It doesn't stick to the delrin -- it grips the rod like a vice instead. I had to twist and yank like crazy to get them apart.

Just my experience - if you try, I hope you have better luck.

Regards,
Eric

I was wondering about that. Maybe some mold release? So many ideas...so little time and money.

Top Bottom