Question about pepper mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Smith

Jim Smith

I plan on making three pepper mills to give as gifts. I'd like to use an exotic wood to make them a bit different than the regular pepper mills you see in the stores all the time. I have a question about the possibility of poisoning from the exotic wood sap or dust when the pepper sits in contact with it for long periods of time. Is this a concern or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Jim,

I wouldn't think "exotic" woods are any more likely than the others to be poisonous, but I suppose if you're working with a wood that is a known irritant, it could be an issue.

What about an appropriate sealant for the inside (can't be worse than plastic pepper mills!?)

-Barry

elody21

The one wood type I worry about is spalted wood of any kind. I can't see using any spalted wood for anything involving food especially food such as pepper that will sit in the mill. Alice

Other Question and/or idea

I have toyed with the idea of of putting a tube inside the pepper mill, similar to having the brass tube inside of the pens. I have not got everything worked out, but it seems that 1" copper water pipe has the right dimensions. The tube would isolate the pepper from the wood and would add strength for segmenting and etc.
Anything thoughts on good, bad or would not make a difference?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have toyed with the idea of of putting a tube inside the pepper mill, similar to having the brass tube inside of the pens. I have not got everything worked out, but it seems that 1" copper water pipe has the right dimensions. The tube would isolate the pepper from the wood and would add strength for segmenting and etc.
Anything thoughts on good, bad or would not make a difference?

Or you can get acrylic tubing, if you are worried about it.

Like others, I believe a coat of finish will protect. But I also doubt most wood could affect peppercorns, enough to be any hazard.

Randy_

You can seal the inside of the wood with olive oil.

Olive oil will turn rancid after a while. I'm not sure that would be a problem in this particular application; but plain old mineral oil would probably be a better alternative. It is a commonly used sealant for wooden bowls and cutting boards.

ahoiberg

i bet by the time you get done drilling through it, the burning effect of the forstner bit will seal it off enough to not even think twice about it.

Spiceman

I have been making and selling S&P mills for years. None of my customers have died from poisoning to the best of my knowledge. I use spalted beech and have never had a problem. It's a bit like peoples fear of Yew and using them for mills. It's the leaves and fruit that do the damage especially if you are a horse!
The toxics given off from some exotics can cause problems like skin irritations, but then if you are not working with them for 8 hours a day it should not be a long term problem.
If in doubt use a mask. Personally I do not add any 'chemical finish' to the inside of my mills.

Top Bottom