PITH with Naynay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

I was out of town for much of August but was able to send off a pen to Naynay (Renay) before I left. He posted my offering here.

Although there was a mix up with USPS on restarting our mail after a hold, I finally received the pen Renay made for me.

Renay Pith 2023.jpg

It is a PSI Bolt Action wrapped in a rattlesnake skin cast by Kenny Durrant. For someone who has been turning for only three months Renay managed a beautifully turned, well centered and well polished pen.

I asked him not to send my any blanks (like most of us who have been turning for a while, I've got far too many!) but he sent along three small pieces for me to use in segmenting. (Walnut, red box elder and honey locust.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

naynay

Thank you Steve for the kind words. FYI: I am the female version of "Renay". It's spelled differently than the usuall spelling. Yeah, I wanted to keep that pen but after looking at the one you sent, I had to send you something nice. I am honored you put this in your daily rotation.

naynay

I was happy that Steve took a chance on someone with very little turning experience. This was fun. Not knowing what you would receive from the other person as far as a pen goes and not knowing the person's work. I didn't look at past posts from Steve but it didn't matter. I encourage everyone to try this once in their life if they haven't done so. Steve gave me pen blanks from wood I had never even heard of! I am excited to turn these blanks.

Kenny Durrant

Small world isn't it Steve. I was talking to Renay and she mentioned she was involved in the PITH. When she said your name it rang a bell. I told her I think I know him. Sure enough we swapped blanks a while back. I knew she'd be happy with hers. Glad I was able to be a small part of this and she did an excellent job bringing the blank to life. I still show off the pen I turned from your blanks and still have some to get to. Good to see you both enjoyed the PITH.

Kenny Durrant

Ok John. I've heard the saying before but you made it seem like a challenge. What are some of the rules? I have blanks, cutoffs and boards that have nice figure that someday will become blanks. I also have resin, skins, bones and odd and end things that will be cast into blanks. So as far as just blanks I have more than I'll ever use but I have materials taking up a spare bedroom, two car garage and taking up space in a storage shed faster than I wished. I might not win the contest but if all things considered I may get make the final few rounds. Ha Ha.

Hippie3180

Even though Kenny cast the blank, I was still a bit queasy about turning the pen but I forced myself to do so. I enjoyed it actually and glad that Kenny talked me into trying it at least once.
You did it, and did a great jobā€¦.now make another one.

Top Bottom