Pine wood for pepper mill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I have never made one out of pine, but I don't see any reason why not. The only bearing surface that may wear is at the top and I don't see that as a problem. Just make sure it is very dry and no pitch pockets that may leak into the pepper. The tighter the grain the better. Use sharp tools and ride the bevel to minimize tear out.

Stephen

I have never made one out of pine, but I don't see any reason why not. The only bearing surface that may wear is at the top and I don't see that as a problem. Just make sure it is very dry and no pitch pockets that may leak into the pepper. The tighter the grain the better. Use sharp tools and ride the bevel to minimize tear out.

Thanks. The pine is dry. Will give it a go.
Stephen

kovalcik

Forgot to add finish comments. I usually use a wipe on poly for the exterior. I figure it will get handeled a lot with dirty greasy hands so needs to have a wipe off finish. For pine I would be sure to use a sanding sealer first. The interior I have left unfinished or used mineral oil or salad bowl finish.

Last edited:

Justturnin

The main concern I can think with pine is taste. Most call makes will not use pine because they can taste it. I am not sure if this is something that can transfer to the peppercorns or not after sitting in there a while. I would consider some sort of hard coating inside like a spray poly or lacquer.

I like the contrast of pine but w/ the sap and sticky I pass on turning it for the most part. I have heard there is a way to "set the sap" but I don't know what that is.

sailing_away

I had the same question regarding finishing the inside. Thank you for the answer.

I have used Australian Pine for a few pepper mills. The wood did not have much sap (if any) when I turned them. No problems but with all the different varieties of pine, it is difficult to say for sure it will work out not. I would say give it a try.

Charlie_W

I believe the old painters trick was to use shellac to seal knots and sappy area's before painting so the sap or knot would not bleed through the painted finish. Think of knotty pine paneling with the knots showing through the paint.
Hope this helps.

monark88

I don't think I would use anything oily to wipe down the interior. Pepper can mold over time. Any pepper caught/stuck to the oily sides may well have an opportunity to mold.

I had this happen once many years ago. Of course an option would be to clean out occasionally.
Russ

Top Bottom