Changing Maple Leaf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jchoponis

jchoponis

This started out as a shallow bowl. Seeing all of the trees changing colors this fall gave me the idea of cutting this down into the shape of a maple leaf. This was my first attempt at air brushing dye.

John

Attachments

• MLB.jpg
    MLB.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 274
  • MLB1.jpg
    MLB1.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 236
  • MLB2.jpg
    MLB2.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I like the concept a lot, but I think that a satin finish would better highlight your work. That is just my opinion because the reflection off the gloss distorts the image, at least on the screen.

jchoponis

Thanks for all of the comments.

Cindy - I used shellac to thin the dye so I could spray it. I agree it has to much shine. I am going to try and sand it back to knock down the gloss.

John

stevenpetry

Looks awesome, but I gotta agree with the satin finish. The first pic, it almost looks like it could be a piece of metal art that had been blued and sprayed in clear coat. Also, I know adding the veins had to take some time, but I think the end result would look better without em.

And just a thought, instead of staining, maybe try sand shading the next one. It wouldn't give much of a color change as it would just darken the wood, but the effect could prove to be pretty damn cool.

All in all though, it looks great. Keep it up.

Top Bottom