Bottle stoppers Transformation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

In the past few weeks, I turned several Bottle stoppers ready for some stainless steel stoppers with the appropriate threads. However, some of the tops I turned are not quite as nice as I wanted them to be and I feel it would be a waste to attach the stopper.

I would like to use the tops I have with the inexpensive silicone stoppers that attach to a 3/8" dowel. But, the threaded hole is not big enough for the dowel. It is slightly smaller than the dowel.

My question: What is the easiest way to enlarge the hole in the turned finished top for the dowel?

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

I would take a 1/2" dowel and turn down an insert to fit the stoppers and just glue them in. It will be much easier and safer than enlarging the stoppers hole.

KenV

Carmen -- I have 3/8 drill chucks mounted on a handle like a screwdriver. You can make one with a chuck from an old drill or purchase a replacement one for a drill. They are threaded 3/8 by 24 and I put a piece of bolt (3/8 by 24 threads) in the handle to thread the chuck onto.

I the use a 25/64th bit to ream out the threads from the hole. Those more brave than I use a drill, but I find that I make fewer "opps" using a hand drill to ream out the theads.

I use a slightly undersize bit as the dowel stubs tend to be a bit undersized and a firm fit is easier to manage when gluing them in place.

dogcatcher

Take the 3/8" drill bit mount it in your drill chuck that you use with your lathe. Use the drill chuck as the handle and ream the hole out by hand. I do that all of the time, it works.

mb007

do you have a 3/8" die? It may not be the cleanest, but maybe you could cut threads on the dowel. Even if the threads are useless, it may reduce the size of the dowel enough that you could glue it in.

Edit: on second thought, this seems to be more work than the previous suggestions. :)

Last edited:

kovalcik

Maybe I am missing something, but just chuck a 3/8" twist bit (or whatever size the dowel is) in your electric drill and go at it. The existing hole will keep it straight and you are not taking that big of a bite. Use a glove or rubber pad to get a good grip on the stopper top.

In the past few weeks, I turned several Bottle stoppers ready for some stainless steel stoppers with the appropriate threads. However, some of the tops I turned are not quite as nice as I wanted them to be and I feel it would be a waste to attach the stopper.

I would like to use the tops I have with the inexpensive silicone stoppers that attach to a 3/8" dowel. But, the threaded hole is not big enough for the dowel. It is slightly smaller than the dowel.

My question: What is the easiest way to enlarge the hole in the turned finished top for the dowel?

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Carmen,
If you have a little belt sander, you can spin the dowel against the belt for a second or two and make it small enough to slip into the 3/8" hole... I have a 1" belt sander from HF and use that method all the time... just hold the dowel against the belt and rotate it quickly so you sand evenly on all sides.

Top Bottom