Other lathe forums

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rich L

The tail end of another thread got me thinking about asking the following questions since this is a metal lathe forum:

In what other lathe and machining public forums do folks lurk or participate (e.g cnczone, yahoo groups, Practical Machinist, etc) and why? Are there some you avoid? Why? What hardware do you have (or want to have) that drives you to one forum or another.

OK, I'll start

Jet 10-24 lathe with threading (Taiwanese 1983 bought new)
Hardinge HLVH EM (American 1984)
Prodigy GT-27 gang lathe (Japanese 2004)

I participate in:
Practical Machinist (General forum, CNC forum) - I like the PM forum because of the three I'm in this one is "packaged" nicely by subject and the regulars are mostly nice guys and super knowledgeable. Even my stupid questions are answered.

CNCzone (several subforums including the G-code programming one and the one on Fanuc controls) - Second on my list mostly because the subject matter is scattered so much into so many subforums that it's sometimes hard to get a response.

I just joined a Yahoo group because of the HF lathe that is discussed in another thread. I haven't interacted there yet and joining was certainly curiosity.

Fountain Pen Network - a lot of the same folks as are here and I think there's more here to learn.

There aren't any I avoid but I think the ones I'm in are enough.

I'm always trying to learn something new and all of these venues provide insight into the how's, why's, and wherefor's. Even though most of my work is with metal, I do make parts out of acrylics and barrels out of wood. So many techniques I learn in the metal areas spill over into other materials and vice versa. But i drivel on ...

I'd sure like to hear what others think.

Cheers,
Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cnczone is pretty good for CNC.

I have never felt the need for a forum for manual machining. Any question I have thought of seems to have already been answered somewhere already. Google has never failed to direct me to a forum where the question has already been answered or one of the many webpages that deal with machining.

Top Bottom