Ornament Blank sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LandfillLumber

What size are the blanks you use for ornaments.The time of year is close and I have lots of nice stock that I think will work great for this type stuff.I want to make some boxes up to move stock that has been sitting for to long(oh and money for my knee,lol).Thank you,Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Depends on the style and wood -- for hollowed burl ornaments, I like 2 1/2 inches square and a long or a bit longer. I tend to use undersized pen blanks for bottom finials and something a bit larger for the top.

Inside out I need to have close tolerance stock 1/2 to 3/4 thick and 4 inches or more in length. (straight square and even to about 1/32nd or better)

Inside out likes tight grain woods, but I practice and try new shapes with clear pine.

jthompson1995

I've been making some small ornaments from blocks about 1 1/4" square by about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long for the bottoms and some small cutoffs for the top. If I'm making some larger ornaments, I usually only go about 2 1/2 inches square, maybe 3 by about as long or slightly longer. I figure if they are going to be hung on a tree, they can't be huge.

Bill Bulloch

As small as a pen blank

I make some small bird houses out of pen blanks, some larger ones out of 2 1/2 x 4 inch blanks and others out of what ever I have. There is no rule-of-thumb....just turn what you got, have fun and I'm sure you'll like them.

Thanks everyone this is good information.I think I have a batch of smaller blanks in these sizes that have been sitting on the shelf to long so look out for them.Thanks again,Victor

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Victor

If you want to venture on over to the segmented side, we use 3/4 inch thick boards, and cut the angles to the appropriate degree for the number of segments you want to use. We run the boards anywhere from 1 3/4 inch wide, to 4 inches wide depending on the style and "size" of the ball you want for the body.

We rip the boards to width (1 3/4 inch to 4 inches), and then we use a radial arm saw to cut across the board to give us the segments. This allows for continuous grain around the ornament (no end grain). We also use a pen blank size material for the top and bottom finials. If you have a 6 inch blank, you should be able to get both a top and a bottom out of it.

Our style of ornament also has end blocks that we use to seat the finials. They are usually a square of material that is 3/4 inch by lets say 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch. As you get more experience you can make the caps smaller.

I will be up at John C Campbell this week, but if you would like more information, I can get back to you next week! Good luck on the ornament project! We want pictures!

Robert

Top Bottom