Cherry Tilt Top Table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rojo22

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
This is a tilt top table I finished recently. The top is done in cherry veneer, but all the other pieces are made from quarter sawn Pennsylvania cherry. This wood has been in the basement of a fellow wood turner for over 30 years, so it was definitely seasoned! I have to say that the cherry pedestal was a treat to turn, as the wood was great to work with and finished great.

There are 15 coats of laquer, and ren wax as the finish. Before anyone volunteers to give it a home, it is in my mothers living room, and I would give a SEAL team about a 20% chance of making it in and getting back out, without the table.....LOL....

This one is very different from the George the X table, in that it is not a replication, nor is it as fancy, but I gotta say, it was fun to turn and and the form is all my own (not sure that is good or bad...LOL...).

As always comments good and bad are both appreciated.

Attachments

• Cherry Table Front small.jpg
    Cherry Table Front small.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Cherry Table Leg Details small.jpg
    Cherry Table Leg Details small.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Cherry Table Post Details small.jpg
    Cherry Table Post Details small.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Cherry Table Up small.jpg
    Cherry Table Up small.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 138
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Keith

The legs are dovetailed into the table column at the leg end. We turn the column, and then dovetail the ends to receive the legs. We have a special handmade custom jig that we use on a Powermatic 3520a that makes it a little easier to get the legs to come out correctly. We take 3 passes with a router in the jig, one to flatten the shoulder area on the column, the second is a straight bit pass to remove most of the inside material of the dovetail cut, and the final pass is the dovetail cut with the router. Takes nerves of steel though when you got that thing all the way turned, and then one little slip and its all over....Designer Firewood....LOL....

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

Robert

Top Bottom