A Few More Toothpick Holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I made 12 more of these yesterday and got the last coat of lacquer on them in the evening.
Was in the city all day today so when I got home I gave them a little buffing and took a picture.

12toothpickholders1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

William those are great, do you have a tutorial on them as well. I just used the one you put out on the bottle stopper Hats, It was great.
THANKS!! Max

W.Y.

William those are great, do you have a tutorial on them as well. I just used the one you put out on the bottle stopper Hats, It was great.
THANKS!! Max

Thanks Max.

I got the plans for those from videos on the Wood site . Click on the link and on the right side scroll down until you come to them. It is described in several videos one right after the other.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/?lid=1339217302.

I have made many dozens of those. They sell like candy at craft sales. Sometimes I will sell six of them in the same time as I sell one pen. Probably because everyone has pens and easy access to them but few have ever seen those toothpick holders so they are well suited for people to buy to give as gifts as well as for thier own use . The most I have sold to any one customer at a time so far has been four.

It takes a while to make the first one or two but after that it doesn't take long to do a bunch of them once you have the three different size dill bits out and the turning tools to complete them . It's like anything else, the more you practice the easier it becomes .
I ran out of solid woods for this batch so I laminated some odds end ends of wood just to use it up.

Last edited:

Wheaties

So I watched part II of the toothpick series...

Does everyone get that good of results with there tools? Because I'm nowhere near that! The wood is just jumping off! Maybe he just has really good tools? Thoughts?

W.Y.

So I watched part II of the toothpick series...

Does everyone get that good of results with there tools? Because I'm nowhere near that! The wood is just jumping off! Maybe he just has really good tools? Thoughts?

I get every bit as good results as he does and mine are not expensive tools at all . Most are just the cheap China made ones that come in complete sets of six for under $100.00. Learning to use the tools and accessories at your disposal properly is more important than paying big bucks for them although I will be making and /or buying a few big long and strong ones now that I have a big lathe.

I made loads of those toothpick holders with my little Jet 1220 mini lathe but now with my big 18/47 lathe it is that much easier again.

You would not believe the difference it makes having continuous zero to 3200 rpm on one control knob. Minimum speed on my Jet 1220 was 500 rpm and the forstner bits overheated as well as heated the wood excessively . Now by drilling those holes around 200 rpm I am actually seeing nice shavings from the bit rather than sawdust at too high a speed previously.
And I never thought reverse on a lathe was much of a deal until I got a lathe with it . It makes sanding go so much better as well as some stages of turning bowls but so far I have not tried reverse on bowls. . .

Don't be discouraged at all if you only have a mini lathe . You can make those with it just as good as many others have. It will just take longer and not as convenient.

Zero to 3200 and reverse are features that the average person never misses if they have not used a big lathe with them on it .
But my gosh, once you have experienced it you would never want to go back.

maxman400

William I went to your link but I don't see the videos I am missing something my screen is almost blank (white) with a few things at the bottom of the page.

W.Y.

William I went to your link but I don't see the videos I am missing something my screen is almost blank (white) with a few things at the bottom of the page.

It worked when I posted it last night and it is still working this morning.

That particular site is so jamb packed full of commercials that it can be slow loading at times . If your internet connection is not high enough speed just minimize the link to your tray and come back after a while and it will probably be there.
I am on good old reliable Internet Exporer . If you are on another browser I really can't help with that.
Good luck in bringing it up because it shows how to make them in full detail

Last edited:

W.Y.

Great videos! I am going to try one as soon as I get another lathe..

Oh and I really miss my rikon now!

You can make those on practically any lathe from the smallest to the largest. What happened to your Ricon lathe and what are you using now. ?

DennisM

You can make those on practically any lathe from the smallest to the largest. What happened to your Ricon lathe and what are you using now. ?

I ran into a series of very unfortunate evetns over the past 6 months, (laid off, almost divorced, had to move) So i was forced to half to sell the complete setup I had for woodworking, (lathe, tools, blanks, drill press) I am now in a place that bills are ok for now, and married life is back on track, and ready to start turning again for relaxation.

So looking for a lathe, have considered a turncrafter pro from psi, but man that little rikon took everything I threw at it and never complained..

W.Y.

I ran into a series of very unfortunate evetns over the past 6 months, (laid off, almost divorced, had to move) So i was forced to half to sell the complete setup I had for woodworking, (lathe, tools, blanks, drill press) I am now in a place that bills are ok for now, and married life is back on track, and ready to start turning again for relaxation.

So looking for a lathe, have considered a turncrafter pro from psi, but man that little rikon took everything I threw at it and never complained..
Glad things are back on track again for you and hope you have many enjoyable turning years.
If you make a bunch of those toothpick holders and take them to craft sales you will have more than half paid for a new Ricon lathe.
They sell easy at $20.00 each . 12 like that @ $20.00 equals $240.00. Not too shabby for one days fun on the lathe. :wink:

W.Y.

Real nice Bill..... a dozen in one day?? it would take me a week to do that.
Also thanks for the link, I'm going to give those a try...

That did not include the glue up of the pieces . Once set up with the various tools and accessories for turning those they don't take long . It's just repetition on twelve pieces and I like to get jobs like that done and out of the way in order to start another project rather than have several different ones at various stages of completion. I would have been able to do about eight with my Jet 1220 in the same time it took for twelve with the new full size lathes with its extra features. .

Had a break from turning today. Finally got around to putting a new window in my wife's sewing room which required major surgerey on the wall opening.

W.Y.

The day after I posted the twelve toothpick dispensers at the top of this thread I got a email request for one of those along with a pepper mill and salt shaker to match.
Fortunately I had enough of the same wood for a match so I sawed it and glued it up day before yesterday. Then yesterday I made the pepper mill and salt shaker and applied the finish. This morning I gave them a little buffing so they are now ready to package up and send to their new home.

375312460.jpg

Top Bottom