One hell of a pen blank...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

If the wood is soft for turning and the white part can have a nail mark you may have something like a pear tree blank cut from a Y branch pear tree wood is well use for carving my 2 pennies here , nice find and blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well George , the only apple that I can find in your list of woods is the Australian lady apple . Time for bed .

Wayne,

You obviously got an old list, the updated ones have 74 timbers listed, 10 of those lists were sent with the Olive Root blanks from the last "game", that is what I was referring too...! sorry about that...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Final winner announcement...!

Well Mr. Philb, you done it again, congratulations, that was indeed the correct answer.

This wood species is listed on my timbers list as #74 "Australian McIntosh Apple tree wood"

I will send you a PM shortly with some info...!

Do you remember me mentioning this trees resilience to stop producing or die after being mostly eaten by Termites...??? Well here are some pics of what was still standing and producing fruit, amazing stuff...!

001.JPG 005.JPG

Thank you, to all that participated, it was fun...!

Cheers
George

philb

Great thread again George!

Always like these guessing species games!!
Thanks for running one again, and offering up beautiful blanks for a competition!

PHIL

robutacion

Great thread again George!

Always like these guessing species games!!
Thanks for running one again, and offering up beautiful blanks for a competition!

PHIL

You're welcome Phil...!

Well, we all can learn something from these "games", everything else is a "bonus", huh...???:wink::biggrin:

You got to be in it to win it, right...???:):)

Right...! next one...!:confused:

PS: I knew that I had a pic of this tree before I cut it, I took pics of all the trees that had to come down but, I didn't seem to be able to find it before, in fact, it has been always there but I kept missing it for some reason so, here it is. The other pic I wanted to show you was the close up pic of the trunk piece cut off, not much wood in there and not that hard but, is "Gold" to my eyes...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

philb

Blanks arrived today, pretty quick for half way round the globe!

They look stunning, gonna make some great pens these.

Thanks to George for running these little comps, and offering a prize not just learning another new timber for list!!

Cheers Phil

robutacion

Blanks arrived today, pretty quick for half way round the globe!

They look stunning, gonna make some great pens these.

Thanks to George for running these little comps, and offering a prize not just learning another new timber for list!!

Cheers Phil

Glad you've got them, it certainly was super fast...!:)

You're a "good sport" mate, as they say here in OZ.:biggrin:

Lets see some pens done with them.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom