New to pen turning. Supplies, clubs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ammisco

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to pen turning and kind of new to turning. I have turned a few bowls and hollow forms, and wanted to give pen turning a try.
I was wondering if someone had a good source for pen supplies in Salt Lake City Utah? I have tons of blanks (from scraps), so I don't need any wood.
Any local pen clubs?
Thanks Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

Hi;
welcome to the group. For supplies close to SLC I would recommend:
Craft Supplies USA
Showroom/Store:
1287 E. 1120 S.
Provo, UT 84606
Monday - Friday, 8:30am-6pm, MST

or
Woodcraft
Pheasant Hollow Business Park Bldg. No. 4
9891 South 500 West
Sandy, UT 84070
Phone: (801) 566-5652

hope this helps.

Skye

Woodcraft is generaly a little higher priced than places like woodturningz, Arizona Silhouette or even large businesses like Penn State or CSUSA. I tend to go with the smallest place I can, even if the price difference is a wash.

Woodlvr

Hi Andy,
Welcome. I live in Midvale. There is a Woodturning club but not a club specific to pen turning, that I know of. I am starting a couple of friends into pen turning and was hoping to find more. CSUSA in in Provo and is also a good source for supplies, and I like the pen kits and plating choices they offer over Woodcraft.

bobleibo

I like Craft Supply for pen kits, they seem to have a bit better choice of higher end kits. They also carry a very large supply of acrylic blanks if you are into that. CS is pretty much a high end store for turners and pen making is a main focus for them. They also carry a pretty good supply of raw wood. Woodcraft is a great store for woodworking tools and supplies. Pens is more of a sideline for them but they carry a pretty decent supply of pens making tools and gear.
I also go to Macbeth Hardwoods (1500 S. 300 W.) for a great selection of raw wood and cut my own blanks.
Good luck....it is addictive.

titan2

I know this is a bit late for your post but recently we have created a Pen Turning Club in the Salt Lake City area. The WasatchPenturners.org. It is a good group of people that meet once every two months at Wood Craft in Sandy.

Check us out.

Ian

Ian,

What, no link to the IAP on your site? Great resource here for our fellow penturners along the Wasatch!

Barney :)

nava1uni

Check out the MVP and individual buyers here on IAP. Very good deals, nice products and great customer services. Also check out Beartooth Woods, Wood n Whimsies as they also have nice products, prices and customer service. Watch out for your wallet taking wings and all of your money flying away now that you have been bitten by the Pen turning virus.

Top Bottom