Sandpaper "notepads"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a new article I just wrote on how I make sandpaper "notepads". These are small pieces of sandpaper that are bound with glue to make notepad type tear off sheets of sandpaper. I find them EXTREMELY useful for keeping my sandpaper organized and for minimizing waste. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Sandpaper notepads.pdf
    355.5 KB · Views: 597

cnirenberg

Curtis,
That is a great idea. I remember back a few years ago, I was reading how Emory McLaughlin cut up his sandpaper and arranged them in packets of 400, 600, 800 for each pen. I like this idea much better since there are times I don't need the 600 grit, plus the little pen parts baggies I keep them in continuously get lost.

Daniel

Thanks Curtis, I cut my sandpaper to the same dimensions you do and have been keeping them in a small holder I built. But I like the idea of being able to stick them anywhere with double sided tape.

fernhills

Been doing the same thing and trying to keep them in little neat piles in a draw but somehow they always seem to get messed up.Then you have to think is this 400 or 600 cause you cut off the printing on the back of the paper. Great idea about gluing them together. Carl

bruce119

Great idea Curtis

I was a printer for over 40 years and made thousands of scratch pads. This is a fast easy solution for organizing.

Thanks

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Gives a whole new meaning to the work "scratch pad" :biggrin:
I've been doing this for years with paper but never thought of doing it with sand paper. Great idea.
Dave

W3DRM

Great idea! Will have to try this little trick.

I would think you could also use rubber cement. It is more flexible than wood glue. But wood glue is more prevalent in a wood shop.

NOTE: This article should also be added to the Library for all to share in...

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Good idea, but I have severe case of CRS.:biggrin:.. I keep forgetting what color is for what.... I would actually have to note the grit on the backs of all those little pieces of sandpaper. :mad:

Just do like I do...paint 320 in big red letters across one wall of your shop. Then paint 400 in blue on the other wall. Then you only have to worry about writing 600 on the ones without paint!:biggrin:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Cool! I forsee another new product at PSI! ;)

But seriously, that's really handy, and I should invest somt time to making a few of those.

No, the way me an my tutorials go, there will be 3 or 4 folks here at IAP selling them in a few weeks and someone will surely write their own article based on this and submit it to some magazine! :biggrin:

Daniel

Dang Curtis, I spent all day cutting up hundreds of sheets of sandpaper, have glue everywhere and wracking my brain to come up with a marketing plan. trying to come up with a catchy name i hit on Scratch Pads, but decided that has already been used. grit books have a nice ring but does not exactly bring up pictures of the product. Finishing tablet is pretty good. Mind giving me just a bit more help here? I'll have em rolling out by the case full in no time.

OKLAHOMAN

And I even added some cactus skeleton to the binding to give it my own flair, and used this new product that I think is called aluminite instead of yellow glue but a name is alluding me so Curtis if you don't mind chiming in to help out both Daniel and I would appreciate it as we're wanting to be able to post this in the next few days as a new product in the classified.
Dang Curtis, I spent all day cutting up hundreds of sheets of sandpaper, have glue everywhere and wracking my brain to come up with a marketing plan. trying to come up with a catchy name i hit on Scratch Pads, but decided that has already been used. grit books have a nice ring but does not exactly bring up pictures of the product. Finishing tablet is pretty good. Mind giving me just a bit more help here? I'll have em rolling out by the case full in no time.

jleiwig

Not to burst everyones dreams of being unique or having cornered the market, but art stores have been carrying something similar for 50 + years

0010372000000-ST-01-Sandpaper.jpg

I've seen them stapled to the wood holder and also glued like Curtis has done. You just hang it on a nail and tear off a piece when you need it.

snyiper

Great Idea I can see it now...."Sandables" convienent sanding pads at your fingertips when ever you need it! Now color coded for your convienence!! Order now and for just 2 payments of 19.95..............

Jmhoff10500

Hey ive tried this for a while and found that wood glue isnt as flexible and eventually will break up over a couple of years if you dont use all the sandpaper by then. we recently tried a new material called "Padding Compound". Its cheap, colorful(usefull for color coding) and plyable over a long time...

snyiper

Dunno padding compound looks like it will work but not very cheap if you need to get different colors...I may use rubber cement.

Padding Compound 12oz Wht (099295537070)

Adhesive for binding pads and books. Translucent white and flexible when dry.

spacer.gif
Regular Price: $19.63
Your Price: $15.89

Daniel

Cheat! Cheat! that is not sandpaper, that is lead shaping abrasive and only to be used for forming the shape you want on your pencil when sketching. and they do not offer color coding or selection of grit. phew mear wannabees compared to the brilliance of Curtis.

Not to burst everyones dreams of being unique or having cornered the market, but art stores have been carrying something similar for 50 + years

0010372000000-ST-01-Sandpaper.jpg

I've seen them stapled to the wood holder and also glued like Curtis has done. You just hang it on a nail and tear off a piece when you need it.

Daniel

What about getting a quart and then splitting it up amount three or 4 people? could be a great thing for local chapters to do at the very least. Wouldn't you donate $20 to your local chapter so they can provide stick goop to it's members?

Yeah, but when would you EVER use a quart of it?

Top Bottom