New pen case and trays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Ever since Ed taught me last year to seperate my "good stuff" from the "other stuff" at shows, I have been looking at different ways to accomplish the task since the display method does indeed work. My average pens are displayed on acrylic stands but the nicer pens are kept in more suitable trays and the velvet insures never a scratch or mark on the pens.

I made a pen box from african mahogany which holds two removable trays with a capacity of 12 pens each. The nice thing is that I now can display my larger (fatter) and taller pens without cramping them in cardboard trays that are usually too short and spaced so close together the clips rub the neighboring pens.

While not at shows or displaying my pens, the box is a nice, tidy way of holding my nicer pens to show friends without them collecting dust.

Comments both pro and com welcome.

Attachments

• penbox1.jpg
    penbox1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 266
  • penbox2.jpg
    penbox2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 252
  • penbox3.jpg
    penbox3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 204
  • penbox4.jpg
    penbox4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 209
  • penbox5.jpg
    penbox5.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Very nice pen case George! The mahogany looks beautiful. I like the way you rounded the corners. Did you use mahogany for the miter keys? They really set the miters off nicely. What finish did you use?

Texatdurango

Very nice pen case George! The mahogany looks beautiful. I like the way you rounded the corners. Did you use mahogany for the miter keys? They really set the miters off nicely. What finish did you use?

Keith,
Actually I had originally intended to not stain the box and trays so I made double keys using purpleheart and bloodwood side by side. They still provide a contrast, just not as much. I think the next one I make, I'll use walnut. I used Minwax satin polyurethane which is about the most durable finish I have found over the years.

Top Bottom