Wooden Civil War artillery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bkersten

bkersten

Besides trying the new ideas and castings from the super folks here, I've been doing scale Civil War Artillery shells for the last 2 years. This one is out of witness wood from the battlefield were Gen Longstreet directed Pickets Charge on the 3rd days battle. It is a full scale, 3" Read out of Oak, with a witness walnut fuse adapter for a paper time fuse. While not in mass production, word of mouth has got several made, and some for the Battlefield Guides. Thanks for all your information and guidance. Bob

3" CS Oak Read
1_Read_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

It's not accessible as one would like - rather hard to get. I've done some template projects for a park guide that does witness projects for the battlefield foundation and buys it direct from the licensed Tree trimmers. We swap items for jobs. I try and watch how fast I make things or mine runs out. :frown:

Rifleman1776

Please explain what is meant by "witness wood".
And, please explain what this sentence means: "It is a full scale, 3" Read out of Oak, with a witness walnut fuse adapter for a paper time fuse."

BTW, excellent looking turning.

flyingmelon

Not sure about the details but witness wood is from a tree that has been standing since the time of whatever historic event that occurred in the area. Hence it "witnessed" the event.

bkersten

Not sure about the details but witness wood is from a tree that has been standing since the time of whatever historic event that occurred in the area. Hence it "witnessed" the event.

That's it perfectly. There are only a very few trees left that predate the Battle of Gettysburg in their orgin - thus the desired owning a piece of them. Those that do come down are highly controlled in what happens to them -generally it's out of sight, out of mind, and they are forgotten about. The park had one oak fall that was about 300 yrs old and went back to when the US was founded. A metal detector was used on it and was found to have lots of minnie balls from the Civil War in it. The guides were allowed to cut out the pieces that had the minnies in to show on their guided tours. Never heard what happened to the rest. :frown:

" And, please explain what this sentence means: "It is a full scale, 3" Read out of Oak, with a witness walnut fuse adapter for a paper time fuse." "

This full scale shell is 8 1/2 in long and 2.85" dia. When fired, the base expanded into the rifling of a 2.9" or 3" rifled cannon. It is from about a 200 yr old Oak. Bob

spitfire

I just came back from a vacation in Gettysburg. We camped at Gettysburg Campground. It was a wet week I will tell you that. I have never been much into history but my FIL is a big history buff and he gave us some tours. It was my BIL's idea to go there. He is currently on a 3 week leave from the military after serving overseas. We did have the chance to visit the new visitors center and museum. Very nice place. They went to visit to the orphanage that is suppose to be haunted and they went to the Wheatfields at night to see or hear "things" overall it was a good time but like I said I let them go out and explore while I stayed at the campsite with my daughter. We also went down to pippenfest in Fairfield on saturday. I headed to Greencastle on Sunday to play some disc golf.

Very nice project you have there, I sure they are very popular where you live.

Boomer

That is real cool. If you ever happen to get ahold of some of the wood don't forget your friends at the IAP. Especially the guy from Iowa that suggested you not forget your friends. LOL. Nice job.

Top Bottom