New Mixture

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

I tried a new mix this evening - not sure how it will come out.

A few months back I purchased some opaque pigments to add to my stock of pearlex pigments. My wife said she would like to see an orange blank with a mix of red swirl. I envisioned an opaque orange with a translucent red or at least shimmery red.

My mix in PR:
yellow and red opaque -- got a great orange.
Red Russet #653 -- wasnt red enough - added some red opaque

I have never mixed the pearlex with an opaque so I do not know how well it will come out. Has anyone mixed opaques and pearlex before? Curious of your experience. I will post a pic tomorrow when it cures.

robutacion

I tried a new mix this evening - not sure how it will come out.

A few months back I purchased some opaque pigments to add to my stock of pearlex pigments. My wife said she would like to see an orange blank with a mix of red swirl. I envisioned an opaque orange with a translucent red or at least shimmery red.

My mix in PR:
yellow and red opaque -- got a great orange.
Red Russet #653 -- wasnt red enough - added some red opaque

I have never mixed the pearlex with an opaque so I do not know how well it will come out. Has anyone mixed opaques and pearlex before? Curious of your experience. I will post a pic tomorrow when it cures.

Well, I did and I din't like the result, I lost all the Pearlex effects and the whole thing became a solid colour, in fact, it didn't take much of the opaque colour to make the whole mix opaque and not very interesting, in my view.

I never did it again...!

Cheers
George

Ed McDonnell

I found that using the teeniest tiniest bit of opaque pigment can add color while maintaining transparency. I'm talking about just the wet tip of a toothpick (not a drop hanging off the toothpick, just a thin film on the bottom 1/8") stirred into an ounce of resin. It's very easy to overdo it though and lose most of the benefit of the mica.

For me, the easiest way to color up micas without losing the depth and shimmer is to use transparent pigments or dyes.

Interference (or "crystal") micas added to opaque colors can give interesting effects, but there won't be any depth to them.

Ed

Top Bottom