Pressure Pot or Ultrasonic Cleaner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turnin4fun

I am confused again, I have looked through multiple articles and have concerns about casting.

My wife told me that I can buy a HF pressure pot and then I find out about using and HF ultrasonic jewelry cleaner in the library.

Can a HF pressure pot be used without alterations for casting? (no vacuum yet)

Does the ultrasonic cleaner make it easier and do a better job of taking out the air bubbles?

I want to make this decision before my wife changes her mind. :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Actually, (in my experience, anyway) it costs nearly as much to "refit" a HF paint pot with quality bass fittings to make it hold air as the pot costs.

The crap fittings that come with the pot leak badly, making the pot virtually useless without SERIOUS modification.

To answer you question, if I had $100 to spend on casting equipment and planned to do only PR casting, I would buy the $75 ultra sonic cleaner with heat, EVERY TIME! And FWIW, BUY the replacement warranty! The heating elements don't last too long.

The paint pot has a 90 day warranty, PERIOD. AND, since you have to modify it for casting, in reality it has NO WARRANTY.

Thinned and heated Polyester resin casts bubble free without pressure in most cases, so the Ultrasonic would be my preference.

On the other hand, epoxy and urethane resins (such as Alumilite) really must have pressure to avoid checks, pimples, voids and other air pockets.

its_virgil

I am a vigorous supporter of the ultrasonic cleaner and I also use a toaster oven to cure the blanks. Some use the pressure pot but I abandoned it years ago in favor of the ultrasonic cleaner and oven. This is just my preference and others will swear by the pressure pot. I have never regretted switching. Is it 100% effective? No? but neither is using the pressure pot. I tried the pressure pot again recently when I was having "casting gremlins" in my shop but after casting 12 blanks and having 10 failures i put it away again. The gremlins moved on and I am a happy caster once again. You do what you think will work for you.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenMan1

I am a vigorous supporter of the ultrasonic cleaner and I also use a toaster oven to cure the blanks. Some use the pressure pot but I abandoned it years ago in favor of the ultrasonic cleaner and oven. This is just my preference and others will swear by the pressure pot. I have never regretted switching. Is it 100% effective? No? but neither is using the pressure pot. I tried the pressure pot again recently when I was having "casting gremlins" in my shop but after casting 12 blanks and having 10 failures i put it away again. The gremlins moved on and I am a happy caster once again. You do what you think will work for you.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Is the ultra sonic cleaner 100% effective? PROBABLY not.

Is ultra sonic 100% SAFER than a retrofitted Chinese paint pot? PROBABLY YES!

redneckmedic

If you freqenty watch both HF and craigslist you can find a pot very cheap ($20-40) I se mine up for both pressure and vacuum. It's not ideal for vacuum as I can't see into it, but works none the less. And using pressure at 6opsi with a 70psi relief valve is plenty safe. I can't comment on an US set up. But pressure is fine and not as expensive as buying blanks...once you ruin your first few dozen attempts :)

PenMan1

If you freqenty watch both HF and craigslist you can find a pot very cheap ($20-40) I se mine up for both pressure and vacuum. It's not ideal for vacuum as I can't see into it, but works none the less. And using pressure at 6opsi with a 70psi relief valve is plenty safe. I can't comment on an US set up. But pressure is fine and not as expensive as buying blanks...once you ruin your first few dozen attempts :)

I respectfully DISAGREE, wholeheartedly! Using a pot with a 60 psi maximum pressure rating with a 70 PSI pop off valve is about as safe as standing over a bomb with a 6 minute fuse for SEVEN MINUTES. AND, I have the scars to prove it.

Pots made in the USA conform to engineering standards. They list MAXIMUM pressures, WORKING pressures and a "stamp" with who performed which tests and that it PASSED THE TEST(s).

Chinese paint pot ratings seems to be rated as to "how they feel the day they made the pot". Not standards, no testing, no warranty.

redneckmedic

So is the failure in the cheaoly made pot or cheaply made valve? I put my pot through a series of pressure tests when I first got it from CL, that's why I stand by my opinion, however I don't use a HF pot either.

If its a relief valve issue, obviously that can be replaced.

Rich Aldrich

The real issue with pressure pots is that the have to be made to the ASME pressure vessel code. If it is manufactured in the US, any pressure vessel that is capable of being pressurized over 14.7 PSI has to be build to the ASME code. This also applies to anything brought into the country to be sold, but we know the Chinese have ways of skirting the safety regulations - any regulation.

I am learning about stablize and casting so all of this information is really interesting to me.

Thank you,

Rich

Jim Burr

Banned
This argument needs to calm down. HF pots have a record of failure....maybe not HERE all the time, but overall, used in a manner not intended for there original purpose, they have a record of failure...again, maybe not HERE!!!!
There are several other makes that are better constructed with better materials for the same purpose...PAINT SPRAYING!!! Due to the fact that paint pressure pots are made to spray friggin paint!!...You may want to purchase the best made tank to do what it's not meant for...holding pressure for long periods of time. Or...how much is your face worth and how much insurance do you have...what kind of chance are you willing to take? Some here are willing to take any chance and pay a little for it, some would rather be secure and safe. Up to you and your family.

Top Bottom