Neighbors firewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

While attending a birthday party at a neighbors' house down the street last weekend, I spied a chunk of 'weathered' timber on the lawn. Being the ever vigilant wood hoarder...I took it!(Don't worry, I told him I was taking it). I laid it into a 'jig' I have in the backyard, and proceeded to trim the ends down until I got rid of the checking. It went from about 17" long 'chunk', to just under 7-1/2"....the maximum width of the chunk was 11-1/4", but it was a 'funny' width, once rounded, all I had left was about 7-3/4". Worst part was I lost the knot at the one end...was hoping to incorporate that grain swirling....oh well?

Just having finished soaking it down with Tung Oil, I decided to share this one with it's orginal owner(snap off these two quick photo's on the iPhone-and then texted him). So please excuse the crappiness of them...

Was thinking about doing a Shellac finish after the Tung Oil...thoughts about doing this? Good, bad, or suggestion??

Scott (was fun) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Hmmm. . . . . . . I'll have to try that next time I go eat at the neighbor's.

I'll just excuse myself to go roam their backyard in search of wooden treasures.:tongue:

I do like the shape on that bowl. But we need pictures from your new lathe.

southernclay

Fine job Scott, on the bowl and find. I am seeing pith right? Not just crazy?

If it's been sitting long enough and done it's seasoning ok to turn with it like that?

BTW, got the blanks, they're purty!

Warren

SDB777

Hmmm. . . . . . . I'll have to try that next time I go eat at the neighbor's.

I'll just excuse myself to go roam their backyard in search of wooden treasures.:tongue:

I do like the shape on that bowl. But we need pictures from your new lathe.

Bob....we were already in the backyard. Not like I went sneaking around, after all...I had to walk past him on the way out holding the thing(it wasn't light after a few beers either.

And you can just come over and get whatever you want...it's laying around out back by the sawmill.

Scott (make it sound super sneaky) B

SDB777

Fine job Scott, on the bowl and find. I am seeing pith right? Not just crazy?

If it's been sitting long enough and done it's seasoning ok to turn with it like that?

BTW, got the blanks, they're purty!

Warren

There is actually two piths in this piece, one from the main trunk of the tree and one from a small limb. Cracks equal 'art', but I soaked some thinCA into the 'piths' to help keep that from happening....

Glad you are liking the blanks...hope to see some of the results you have from them soon?!?!?!

Scott (not crazy....CRAZY-BWAHAHAHA) B

Top Bottom