Need Opinion On Some Kits...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

challagan

Trying to expand the arsenal :) Need some opinions on ease of assembly, problems etc. with some kits. First, how big of a pen is the Sierra? Is as large as a Cigar pen, I know the shape is definitely different but is it roughly the same length, weight etc.?

Berea Round Top Euro double twist(Parker Refill) What is your opinion of this kit? Good one, few problems etc? It says no tennon require, how does the center band fit on the pen?

What about the Berea 7mm Round Top Euro kit that uses the Cross refill? Good kit?

Berea Flat Top American pencil kits. Good kits, problems?

Thanks for any help!
Corey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pipes

The Sierra IMO is simple to make easier imo than a slimline ! The others you list some folks have fits with !! I just made a couple of them and I will say the Euro has to be cut and the Top has to almost be perfect or nuthen works ...the last 3 kits are imo a bit tricky IF your new to turning pens ! and can be a PITA But man they look nice when done ! But I am of the thought that your not gona learn except by doing :O)go to it AND BUY the little gauge they sell for measuring the tops and even Larry at Berea told me he can't make those kits any other way BUT on a belt sander cut and get your blank ready to turn BEFOR the tube for the top is glued in .... The bottoms are also a problem if there to short you just don't have no or very little room for era in the kits ... all this is IMHO..As for the serra size it is IMO more sleek and a tad less weight BUT not much less than a cigar pen I think I may weigh the 2 and see !! I would like to add Iam a newbie at this pen thing also But not turning wood.... pens are diffrent :O) I just reread the post and any of them that require a tenon are the PITA ones for new turners specialy ! If they don't need a tenon there simple IMHO ....

Good luck [:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

JimGo

Corey,
Check this thread to see relative sizes for the Round Top Euro and Sierra kits:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15198

I haven't tried either of the others you mention, though I've done a few Series 2000's, which are similar to the Flat Top Americans. The Series 2000's aren't bad pens.

You only have one pen in your albumg, so I'm not sure what you've already done, but if you haven't tried one yet, do a Jr. Gent V2 or Baron. The kits, at least the ones with the good finishes, are on the expensive side, but they make really impressive pens. They are my favorite kit.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Corey - The sierra is a noticeably shorter pen than a cigar. The circumference is not appreciably slimmer, but it feels slimmer in the hand, due to the shape. Sorry, but I don't make the other kits.

challagan

Thanks guys for the info. No I have only one pen in my alblum and have only been turning since january. You can see my photosite link and see my progress. Finishes are getting much better :) I have turned slimlines, Cigars, just turned 2 Flat Top American Double twists, one turned out great, the other was a waste of 5.00 kit and 5.00 wood! Just wouldn't work. Also turned a real nice Flat Top 2000 rollerball. It turned out well and is my best finish to date.

I was wanting to add a Euro to my kits available. I prefer the parker refill and would like a good one that uses this one but sounds like there isn't much available that isn't a problem. Oh well, maybe I will add the Sierra. I am just not sure I like the looks of the kits themselves, I guess they are growing on me. Thanks again for the info!

Corey

Dario

Originally posted by challagan
<br />Trying to expand the arsenal :) Need some opinions on ease of assembly, problems etc. with some kits. First, how big of a pen is the Sierra? Is as large as a Cigar pen, I know the shape is definitely different but is it roughly the same length, weight etc.?

Berea Round Top Euro double twist(Parker Refill) What is your opinion of this kit? Good one, few problems etc? It says no tennon require, how does the center band fit on the pen?

What about the Berea 7mm Round Top Euro kit that uses the Cross refill? Good kit?

Berea Flat Top American pencil kits. Good kits, problems?

Thanks for any help!
Corey

Corey,

Sierra is a small pen and ideal for ladies purse IMHO. It is possibly the easiest pen to make as far as I'm concerned and very classy too. [^]

Berea Round Top Euro is nice. If I'll make Euro's, that will be my pick. No tenon is required since you have to trim the wood all the way to the tube. OR you can actually use a shorter wood (not all of the tube will be covered after initial gluing. A lot of people had problems with tenons but to me it is not a problem as long as you have a caliper (and actually use it [;)]) If you over cut...you can always build up the tenon with CA...I've done that a few times [:D].

I don't like the 7mm Euro's...though I've made atleast a hundred of that when I was starting. I only used slimline and 7mm Euro then...ahhh the simple times. [:I] Main reason was I will only need one drill bit. Extra tubes and kits are cheap and easy to purchase. I actually drill blanks and tube them atleast 20 at a time...sometimes even 50 sets! Whatever I mess up due to drill wander for Euros are mostly re-used for slimline instead (yeah just need to cut the tube a bit but that is easy.

Flat Top american is another one I never liked (again just my preference). I tried a few but never really cared for it. Of course the rule that "it is what the customer wants that matters not yours or mine" always applies. I am much more efficient when I like what I am doing though so I don't even show that to my (few) customers as a choice [:D]. BTW, I never tried the pencil kit of this only the pen. For pencils, the only kit I've tried so far is Cigar.

Try Berea's Baron, posibly the best kit at its price range and very easy to make too. It really is comparable to Jr Gents but if memory serves me right, the price is almost just half (please verify this).

Another favorite of mine is the Perfect Fit Convertible of Berea...with this you supposedly can easily convert the pen to a pencil (which I haven't tried yet).

Hope my late night/early morning babble helps you a bit.

gerryr

The Berea Round Top Euro(Parker refill) is a really nice looking pen, but the length of the wood on the upper barrel is really critical. If the wood is even a hair too long, the pen will not work. If the wood is too short, the coupler shows. There is probably about 1/32" tolerance between too long and too short, although the crummy instructions claim more than that.

I also like the Olympia(only available from AZ Silhouette) a lot. The lower barrel uses a 7mm bit and the upper uses an "O" bit(I think). The pen uses a Cross refill and has a really nice CB. It does require parting the wood off the tube on the upper barrel, but the length isn't critical like on the Berea RT Euro.

The Baron in Chrome is a very reasonably priced kit and make a great looking pen.

I also like the Perfect Fit and it's really easy to convert it to a pencil, the pencil mechanism just replaces the Parker refill.

I don't personally like them, but lots of people seem to like the Berea Atlas/CSUSA Patriot. Simple to make like the Sierra.

challagan

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it. I think I will get couple of the Euro's and give them a try, couple of Sierras and some Barons as well. The price is very good on the Baron's as Dario says. Does anyone know if the Baron Roller Ball the same german refill used in the FT American 2000 screw cap? They seem to write in a real scratchy feeling manner, fine point I guess. Anyone make medium refills that work in these. Thanks again for the help!!

Corey

JimGo

Try a Mont Blanc refill in your rollerball. They are about $6 each from Office Depot/Stapels, but they write very nicely and the ink stays smooth 'till the refill is basically empty.

Rudy Vey

There is one pen kit (ball point) that is, in my opinion, far superior to most of the other ones: the Perfect Fit Convertible from Berea. First of all the mechanism is much better that all the others and secondly one can convert the pen easy from a ball point to a pencil, hence the name.
It is also lighter when compared to either an European or Flattop style pen (8 mm double twist from Berea). BTW, the pencil versions for both these pens really suck.

challagan

Thanks for the Info guys. Jim, could you give me a little more info on the on the Mount Blanc refill? Is that what they are called or is it a Parker refill type etc.

Thanks,
Corey

chigdon

I won't turn any more Round Tops for the same reason; if you are one millionith of an inch off it won't work. Ok, that is an exageration but I don't need that extra drama! I also don't turn slimlines due to the low quality IMHO. I really only do Barons, Jr. Gents Rollerballs (twist), Gentleman/Statesman, and Emperors. Barons are great to turn and probably my overall favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom