Need Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

billybow

This might be a dumb question but I have not been able to figure out the answer anywhere...

I have this lathe.... Benchtop Wood Lathe - 5 Speed

I am looking to replace the headstock faceplate, with a Nova G3 Chuck so I can turn the inside of my vases...

My question is what size is the headstock "threads"? I cannot find the info in the users manual or on the HF website... so if anyone has this lathe or knows the chuck that would work with it please let me know....

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

There are adaptors that you buy for the chuck to fit most common lathes. I bought mine at Woodcraft here in Roswell. Nice thing is if the adaptor doesn't fit you can return it for another. My advice would be to pack it up in the back of you car and bring it with you to Rockler, Woodcraft or Peachtree Woodworking and try the adaptors before buying one. It looks very similar to the Excelsior lathe that Rockler sells and may have the same threads. My Nova chuck adaptor fit that and my Delta no problems.

kovalcik

Measure it. The diameter should be easy with a set of calipers and you should be able to get fairly close on the TPI with a ruler (measure 1 inch and count). There are really only a few options so even if you are off a little you will be able to narrow it down. My guess would be 1"-8 (1" diameter, 8 Threads per inch).

Here is a link from the Teknatool (the Nova chuck people) which shows how to measure your spindle size (jump to Step 5).

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Identifying%20Lathe%20Spindle%20Thread.pdf

Barring that (from the manual):

For technical questions, please call 1-800-444-3353.

Last edited:

monophoto

With an MT-2 bore, I would normally expect that the spindle thread would be 1"x8tpi.

The standard spindle sizes are 3/4", 1"x8, 1 1/4", and 33mm, but this is lathe was made in China so all bets are off. But assuming is dangerous; the safe way to proceed is to measure the spindle diameter and thread pitch - a simple task that takes only seconds.

I just purchased that lathe for my grandson. The taper is Morse Taper #1 and the headstock threads I believe are 3/4" 16 threads per inch. Craft supplies apprentice chuck bushing in the chuck kit will fit. I put it on his lathe to get me from the 3/4" 1" TPI to a Male 1" 8TPI male connection for the pen mandrel.

The Apprentice 4-jaw chuck at Craft Supplies will have the adapter to fit your lathe. He has the small bench top variable speed lathe that sell for $129.00. I hope this helps.

The other lathes at HF are 1" 8 TPI.

dogcatcher

The HF mini lathes have been made with an assortment of threads. Take your face plate to a real hardware store and check using bolts as to what the threads are. Not Home Depot or Lowes, a real hardware store.

Top Bottom