Got a 25 yr old Rockwell/Beaver 3400

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I got this yesterday from a co-worker of the LOML. I haven't paid him yet as he told me to try it for a week to see if I like it. He wants %50. I was wanting something bigger to turn bowls as the Jet 1014VSI is good for small bowls but not for bigger stuff. Since LOML just bought me a bandsaw (G0555) and a bunch of other stuff (bowl gouge, scraper, faceshield, pen press etc)a new lathe was out of the question.

The co-worker bought it about 25 years ago in Canada and his neighbor put a motor on it. He didn't use it much and hadn't touched it in 10 years. Here's a few stats.

11" swing over bed
15" swing over 3" gap
36" between centers
3/4" - 16 LH outboard spindle thread
7/8" - 14 RH inboard thread
4 speeds with manual pully change
MT1 - but i haven't figured this out yet since everything seems to screw on including the center in the tailstock.
Motor - I can't read anything on the plate.
To move anything (tail stock, tool rest) you need to use a wrench.

I hope I loaded the pictures OK. This is my first attempt at pictures on here.

Here it is when I got it.

2008525143220_Lathe%203400%20002.jpg

Here it is after I cleaned off some of the rust.

2008525143431_Lathe%203400%20016.jpg

It came with most everything including faceplate, screw center (no screw, you use your own apparently), spur center and what seems to be a dead tail center, tools.

It doesn't have a face plate for the outboard so if anyone knows where I can get a LH 3/4" - 16 faceplate please let me know.

Any recommendations about anything on this lathe are welcome:)!

After I cleaned it up a bit I turned it on. It hummmmmmmmed very nicely. I attached a small piece of wood and made it round. Then I put a piece of green pine log on it. I hadn't even cut iit on the bandsaw. I knocked off the corners on the lathe and roughed a bowl.

This is definately a keeper:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Thanks Andrew but that looks like RH threading for that size. I need LH threading for the outboard as the headstock don't turn rather the outboard spindle just comes out the back of the headstock. I know it can be made but the cost will add up and I'm hoping to find something that I don't need to spend a ton of $$$ on.

Ligget

As Andrew said about moving the switch for safety precautions, how about a foot switch as advertised on CSUSA (I think).

Fantastic lathe, the new motor that has not done much work is a bonus, have fun using it![:p]

JimB

The motor isn't actually new. The original owner bought it without a motor and his neighbor put the motor on it, so I think it is as old as the lathe but I'm not sure. It has a 2 prong plug and i put some electrical tape on part of the cord that was stating to fray. However, it puuuuurrrrrs like a kitten. So does the lathe. It doesn't make any funny noises.

The whole motor and pully is intersting. The motor hanges on a bracket under the table. Even though the bracket holds the motor up the weight of the motor helps hold the belt tight. When i move it to the smallest pully it is really loose.

I had it on the largest pully to turn the green pine. No matter how much I was taking off it never hiccuped, slipped or anything else. It kept a very steady speed and removed wood quickly and seems like it did better than my Jet.

kirkfranks

Jim,
I don't know about the faceplate for outboard turning. I am not a bowl turner so I am just guessing, but since the tool rest does not reach to the left it would be scary to rig a freestanding tool rest.

I did make a wooden "handwheel" for my lathe for turning the spindle while sanding and such.
I found a 3/4-16 LH nut at ACE Hardware (those guys have almost everything) and then mortised that into a piece of 3/4 pine. I cut it round best as I could on the bandsaw and then mounted it and sanded it the rest of the way round.

JimB

Thanks Kirk. That's a good idea. Not having anything to grab onto has been a pain.

The only faceplate option I've found so far has been Grizzly. The have an adapter and a non=threaded face plate system. It's more than I want to spend so I'll keep looking but at least I know one place that has it.

Top Bottom