jet 10/14 or rikon 70/100

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

You are comparing. Both non variable sowed models I assume. They are both high quality. With the sale price on the rikon, I'd go that direction. It's a very beefy lathe for its size. Also it has a 12" swung.

traderdon55

I compared both when I started turning and went with the Rikon and have been very happy with it. I have turned on both and the Rikon has more power, easier belt changes, and a larger capacity. The jet is a good lathe and is better known but I would not want anything but the Rikon after using them both.

kovalcik

Go with the larger lathe. I have two Jet lathes (1220 and 1642) and would recommend them to anyone. But if the choice is between the 1014 and the Rikon, the larger capacity of the Rikon swings my vote.

PenMan1

I have both of these lathes. The Jet stands head and shoulders above the Rikon in terms of precision.

The Ricon has so much runout that has been made into a buffing station.

I've got a Rikon 70-050VS and love it! Power, 12" swing, solid built, great customer service! The customer service thing is very important IF you need it.

avbill

I went with the Rikon because of the easy of changing the belt for slow- higher speeds. I have a very large hand.

Just to let you people know Rikon is coming out with another mini lathe soon! Can't get much more than that out of them.

Last edited:
They are replacing the 70-050VS with a better model, I'm sure it will either be a full VS or just like the old one with several speed ranges, and you'll need to change the belt between them. It'll be blue also.

RichB

I had a Rikon. It was the best until a friend sold his little used Jet to me. The Jet I have is a lot smaller than the Rikon. I didn't know about this. I wished I had the Rikon back. Buzzzz4 has the Rikon now along with his Delta. The old Rikon is a three state buffer now and still going strong. Notice my avitair, I can't seem to forget it.

wouldentu2?

Only purchase a variable speed model, the hassle of changing belt positions when going to finish is worth it.

It may seem like a small effort at first but multiply that hundreds to thousands of times and it becomes a hassle.

Ligget

I love the Jet 1014 lathe too, I have two of them in my small workshop, one as a dedicated buffer and one as a dedicated pen blank sander with Ricks off-center sanding tool.

shastastan

Go with the larger lathe. I have two Jet lathes (1220 and 1642) and would recommend them to anyone. But if the choice is between the 1014 and the Rikon, the larger capacity of the Rikon swings my vote.

I totally agree. I went from a 1642 to a 1014 due to moving and space limitations. I then went to a 1014vs. I decided to make some 12" tool handles. There wasn't enough clearance on the 1014s to drill out the tang hole. What a pita to do them on the drill press. Now I have a 1221vs and am happy that I have a larger lathe. I would have one large lathe and one small one if I had the room.

Top Bottom