My method of photo'ing a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

I've been reading this with interest, and then realized I probably can't do this with my current camera...

Why? Not because I can't adjust the EV, WB, ISO, or other things.. No.. it's much simpler than that.

Olympus (SZ-20) seems to think that you need to reset the timer every stinkin' time you take a photo. What were they thinking?

azamiryou

I've been reading this with interest, and then realized I probably can't do this with my current camera...

Why? Not because I can't adjust the EV, WB, ISO, or other things.. No.. it's much simpler than that.

Olympus (SZ-20) seems to think that you need to reset the timer every stinkin' time you take a photo. What were they thinking?

Yikes, another "feature" to look out for when shopping for a new camera.

One possible work-around... most digital cameras have a delay between when you click the shutter and when it actually snaps the photo. In most situations this is a total nuisance, but if you click and let go quick, it can be enough time for the camera to stop moving by the time it takes the picture.

SDB777

I have photoshop 6 and its just not working. what program do you all recommend I purchase.

I thought the PhotoShop program had a HDR feature in it....or maybe it's an add-on? Still recommend PhotoMatix Light(even after all this time).

Scott (this just keeps coming to the top) B

NotURMailman

I'm trying to figure this out. You could use the Auto Exposure Bracketing feature on a Cannon EOS Rebel T3 with the timer set to take pictures at 0, -2/3, and then +2/3, correct? The manual says it will take the 0 pic, then the -2/3 pic, and then the +2/3 pic in that order automatically aftre the timer goes off. What I'm really not sure about is the -2/3 and +2/3 settings. Am I totally lost?

azamiryou

EV is the exposure - how much total light falls on the sensor. Too much light makes for an overexposed photo; too much is an underexposed photo. EV changes when the aperture or shutter speed change. Longer shutter or bigger aperture (smaller f number) makes a higher EV, shorter shutter or smaller aperture makes a lower EV. When talking about differences in EV, we often call it a "stop": +1 EV is "up 1 stop" or "1 stop brighter".

The numbers in your manual show you how much the camera changes the EV between shots in auto-bracketing. 0 means a shot with the "correct" EV (either set by you in manual mode, or automatically in P, A, or T mode). -2/3 means a shot with a 2/3 EV lower exposure (2/3 stop darker).

1/3 stop difference is very subtle. At 2/3 you should have no trouble seeing there's a difference, but it's not a big difference. 1 stop is an obvious difference.

You are not lost. Auto Exposure Bracketing is exactly what you want. +/- 2/3 will work for HDR, but if your camera lets you change it, I'd recommend +/- 1 or 1.3, to maximize the data available to the software.

NotURMailman

The setting are adjustable up to +/-3 in 1/3 increments, with the timer it takes one at zero, then one -, then one +. I don't have the camera yet, I was reading throught he manual online to see if it was going to be what I wanted. Sounds like it will work for this, I already know it will work for my other purposes. So, sounds like it's a go!

Thanks for the help!

Now I just need to decide on a decent tripod...

azamiryou

Of course a better tripod is better... but if your camera has a timer or remote and you'll be shooting indoors, the tripod is one area it's okay to go cheaper on if your budget is tight. A bigger/heavier/better tripod is more stable, and does a better job of keeping the camera still when it gets lightly bumped, or blown by the wind, or when you press buttons or otherwise manipulate the camera. Shooting pens indoors with a timer, you don't really have to worry about that stuff.

airborne_r6

Of course a better tripod is better... but if your camera has a timer or remote and you'll be shooting indoors, the tripod is one area it's okay to go cheaper on if your budget is tight. A bigger/heavier/better tripod is more stable, and does a better job of keeping the camera still when it gets lightly bumped, or blown by the wind, or when you press buttons or otherwise manipulate the camera. Shooting pens indoors with a timer, you don't really have to worry about that stuff.

I don't know about where you live but around here the local thrift stores can have pretty good tripods quite cheap. Like several hundred dollar ones for several bucks. You might just have to check back until you find one. I think it is something that people donate to get rid of but most of the people shopping at thrift stores aren't really looking for.

NotURMailman

Thank for that great idea!

I had checked some local pawn shops, but they wanted nearly new prices and if I'm gona do that I'd rather just buy new. I'll check out the thrift stores.

SDB777

Never been able to get a "good" tripod from a thrift store. Maybe it is where I am located at? Or maybe it is because most of the Goodwills around here are shipping the goodies to ya'll folks with the real money!

A great tripod can make up for a crappy camera, but not the other way around.

Scott (digital film is cheap) B

airborne_r6

Never been able to get a "good" tripod from a thrift store. Maybe it is where I am located at? Or maybe it is because most of the Goodwills around here are shipping the goodies to ya'll folks with the real money!

A great tripod can make up for a crappy camera, but not the other way around.

Scott (digital film is cheap) B

Oddly enough, I haven't either, but several friends and family members have been able to pick up Manfrotto's. Every time I go they don't even have any crappy tripods.

SDB777

I'm thinking the 'scores' that I hear about from these 'thrift shops' are pretty much as close to urban legend as it gets(JMHO).

I use a Benbo Trekker in the house, and sometimes while on vacation if I'm doing some 'sight-seeing' and want some memories for later. Think I picked it up from Amazon(of all places) because I just couldn't stomach the prices on those Manfro's! Also have a mono-pod from the same maker(the head's interchange), for doing some bird photo's while walking throught the woods looking for FOG-wood!

Scott (any more questions....feel free) B

mmayo

Thanks Scott

Quite an eye opener for me. Silly me thinking you could produce great photos with only one exposure. Old dog + new tricks = :) and pretty pen photographs.

The problem: pen drilling with lathe stuff - or - HDR software ?

Hmmmmmm

azamiryou

Thanks Scott

Hmmmmmm

Definitely the drilling stuff.

Building pens better is way more important than taking better photos.

(IF you are selling pens, and IF photo quality is holding you back more than pen quality is, then better photos can be more important. But if your photo quality is holding you back, HDR isn't going to help. HDR is a tool to eke out a little more detail and natural look when your photos are already pretty good. If you aren't to that stage, you'll get a lot more benefit from learning about focus and backgrounds and shutter and aperture and light tents. There's an excellent article in the library.)

SDB777

Thanks Scott

Quite an eye opener for me. Silly me thinking you could produce great photos with only one exposure. Old dog + new tricks = :) and pretty pen photographs.

Hmmmmmm

Something a LOT of folkks don't think about, or know about.....most of the photo's in magazine(you know, those big colorful scenic shots of whatever) are HDR generated.

You can shoot a photo in RAW and use that one single inage to make three(or twelve) images to use in the layering process.....so technically, you can take one photo and make an HDR image.

Scott (I don't like processing RAW photo's) B

jbswearingen

I finally purchased the program and did this tonight with a picture I took earlier today. My "light room" is a cardboard box with windows cut into it, a white sheet taped over each window, and three 500W halogen work lights, one on each window. I shoot in RAW with a T4i, set the white balance to 2800K, sharpen it a bit, and then process to JPEG. I then used Photomatix to create the image, and then uploaded to Ribbet! Online Photo Editor to crop, add a border, and add text.

Attachments

• DPP_0914_5_6_tonemapped (Large) ribbet.jpg
    DPP_0914_5_6_tonemapped (Large) ribbet.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 244

jbswearingen

Playing with it some more, I figured out how to use the built-in bracketing (it's a new camera). Here's a pen I turned the other day. I *really* like this software.

Attachments

• DPP_0941_2_3_tonemapped (Large) ribbet.jpg
    DPP_0941_2_3_tonemapped (Large) ribbet.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DPP_0944_5_6_tonemapped (Large) ribbet.jpg
    DPP_0944_5_6_tonemapped (Large) ribbet.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 196
  • downsized_1225001524 (Large) ribbet.jpg
    downsized_1225001524 (Large) ribbet.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 215

SDB777

How about another bump for the new folks....

And a photo?

This one was made from three exposures of EV -1.3, EV -0.33, and EV +1.6 Blended in PhotoMatix Light 2.0 using the preset setting in the Details Enhancer - Default.
This area of PhotoMatix Light can also compose a 'fake' HDR using one photo(I would recommend playing with a EV 0.0 photo and go from there.

Remember digital photographs are really cheap....take a lot of photo's and use the best of the best!

Scott (any questions, feel free) B

edstreet

Interesting thread, have not read it till now to be honest. Have you any experience with the zone system? Am thinking there could be much gained from studying it if you have not.

SDB777

Interesting thread, have not read it till now to be honest. Have you any experience with the zone system? Am thinking there could be much gained from studying it if you have not.

This method is using one of the Zonal Elements....dynamic range.

In fact, if memory serves correctly(it probably doesn't)....wasn't the whole Zonal System researched back in the 1930's? Primarily used for black-n-white by Adams....and later 'molded' for use with regular old film and then digital.

Scott (things have a way of coming back around) B

SDB777

I don't have the ability to make this a PDF file, so if someone wants to...feel free!

Disclaimer(again): I don't own any of these programs, nor am I paid to tell you about them....I just happen to use them and they work for me. You can play with the free stuff, but it will leave a watermark over the photo until you 'pay for it' on the PhotoMatix, but Picasa stuff is free!

Links to the programs I use:
Picasa3: Picasa
PhotoMatix Light: Download HDR Photography software Photomatix

This is my method of presenting photo's of the item(s) I make. The simple title should read: HDR your pens!

Step one:
This is the part that may take you a few tries to get right. But basically, you need to take three photographs of your item without moving the camera(this is very critical-a solid mount will give you the best results)!
I like to use the f/45 setting on the camera(it gives the best depth of field inside my light tent-or in other words...'everything should be in focus'). With the camera mounted on the tripod and the f/stop set, I take three photo's, only changing the EV setting in between(do this carefully to keep the camera from moving).
Here is the result of the three photo's:

Photo #01:

The above photo is the result of:
f/45
EV-1.0
(2second shutter delay used)
exposure time 0.6s

Photo #02:

f/45
EV+0.3
exposure time 1.6s

Photo #03:

f/45
EV+1.6
exposure time 4s

(I know it would have been a good idea to copy/paste the complete EXIF data file(but it would have been huge and probably confusing for a lot of people) But you can see from the limited data I did use that the only thing that changes is the EV setting, and the exposure time.

Here's a screen shot I took from my screen showing all the photo's I took this morning using the pretty much the same setting for each. EV-1.0, EV+0.3, and EV+1.6
(Note: You can take as many photo's with different EV settings as you want, it will give you 'smoother transitions'. But the downside is you have to be more careful to keep the camera still!)

Photo #04:

Don't worry, after you run the original photo's through the software you can delete the files to reduce the number of photo's you have in the computer!

The next step is to open the program called PhotoMatix Light 2.0, and then select the photo's that I showed above:

From this shot you should be able to see the 'NEXT' button under the larger photo to the right. You will need to 'click' on that to go to the next screen(you can also 'de-select' photos on the left side of the screen to adjust the outcome).

The next photo is the actual merge screen(I call it that, cause I'm not sure of the actual name for it):

This is where you can play around with different 'sliders' and preset options. I use the Exposure Fusion defualt setting, unless I what to 'blow-your-mind' with some 'grunge' stuff(it doesn't look too much like the pen anymore, but it's fun to play with). Anyway, this screen shot should show the 'Process & Save' button(lower left)....you'll need to click that. When prompted you can save it as a file with any name you choose.

Here is the original 'Saved Photo':

At this point I reopen Picasa3 and make the corrections.
Here's a screen shot showing two extra photo(one of which we all going through-I just happened to do two sets cause I didn't know which one I was going to use):

I use only minimal adjustments for 'Fill Light'(to try to re-produce the actual color of the background), then I hit the "I'm Feeling Lucky" option. After that I generally remove the fuzzies in 'Retouch', 'crop' it to show more detail, adjust the 'Sharpen' somewhat.....you get the idea, common stuff you probably already do. And the ending result is:

Of course you can add 'text' in the photo or anything else for that matter. I use to put a border on the photo using Adobe Lightroom to give the photo the 'off the page' look, but I haven't done that for quite sometime? This whole process(the three photo's and then the processing) takes about 4-1/2 minutes, but improves the light seen(or not seen) in the photo.

Scott (step by step) B

Sawdust46

Your photo is beautiful. I'll have to wait until I'm ready to take some photos to try your method and I may have some questions then. Thanks for sharing.

SDB777

This is my first attempt using your method. I'm happy with it but want to try it some more before I buy Photomatrix.
What do you think of the photo?
IMG_4822_3_4_tonemappedMOD1.jpg

I am not seeing any shadows around the subject(and that is what we are after). Little out of focus on the finial and the nib(all you need to do there is move the subject further away from the lense-or the camera away from the subject...to fix that).

Try experimenting with different backgrounds....

PhotoMatix Light isn't the only program out there that processes HDR imaging......you might try searching for something else(something free), you never know.

Scott (homemade pizza in the oven) B

SDB777

Discounts are always awesome! I don't remember getting one back in the day.... Look forward to seeing some great photo's!

Scott (congrats) B

azamiryou

I just got around to reading the tutorial you posted in June.

You didn't ask for feedback, so I hope you'll forgive me for taking it upon myself to comment...

I think your choice of pen for the example could be much better. The advantage of HDR is that you can show detail - especially low-contrast detail - in both light and dark areas of the photo. The bocote (I assume that's bocote?) pen is pretty much all high-contrast detail, and you can get an excellent photo with a single correct exposure and/or a little fiddling with contrast and brightness controls.

If you use a pen with both light and dark detail, you could clearly demonstrate the problem (show different exposures, and point out how the detail in this or that area gets lost) and the solution (the final photo clearly showing good detail in both light and dark areas).

And now for something completely different: if you'd like the tutorial to have correct grammar, please note that "photo's" is a contraction or possessive, and "photos" is plural.

Thank you for writing it up, HDR is an excellent tool for people to have in their photography toolbox. :)

Top Bottom