My first bowl (pic heavy)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DavidWayne1971

Back home with the folks for the holidays, and found an old oak branch about 9" round in the field next to my sisters house. I figured Id give it a shot and see what happened. Ive had to fight my sister and my mother off of it. This is my first and is going home with me :biggrin:.

Attachments

• b 1-1.jpg
    b 1-1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 284
  • b 1-3.jpg
    b 1-3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 319
  • b 1-4.jpg
    b 1-4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 325
  • b 1-9.jpg
    b 1-9.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 381
  • b 1-15.jpg
    b 1-15.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 402
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

For a first bowl that realy looks nice, but I don't think you have oak there or wich part of Houston you got that from? It looks different than the oaks I have seen around S. TX.

Thank yall so much for the replies. Im back home in Louisiana for the holidays, and it is definatley an oak tree, but the branch fell off no telling how long ago.. most of it was starting to rot away. I dont know if it was the rot, or fungus or what caused the darkness of the wood. Im hoping to get a bit more tomorrow for future projects.

Since my sister raised so much h-e-double hockey sticks over this bowl, I decided to turn a smaller one for her.... as usual, what I started to make was NOT the finished product. The edge had alot of rot in it so the diameter had to be shrunk way down, then it just started looking like a candle holder so I went with it. She was VERY happy when she opened her present this morning, but of course, now her friends are also wanting candle holders.

Attachments

• ch 1-1.jpg
    ch 1-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 172
  • ch 1-2.jpg
    ch 1-2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 167
  • ch 1-5.jpg
    ch 1-5.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 177
For a first bowl that realy looks nice, but I don't think you have oak there or wich part of Houston you got that from? It looks different than the oaks I have seen around S. TX.

They have oaks in Houston... the bowl looks a lot like the spalted white(also called champion) oak I've found around here... it's a great looking bowl and pretty intricate for a first effort. Great shape and finish.

Thank yall so much for the replies. Im back home in Louisiana for the holidays, and it is definatley an oak tree, but the branch fell off no telling how long ago.. most of it was starting to rot away. I dont know if it was the rot, or fungus or what caused the darkness of the wood. Im hoping to get a bit more tomorrow for future projects.

The black is spalting where the fungus from laying on the ground started the rotting process... I have a pile of oak that I took from a friends house stacked in my shop area that looks just like yours... the tree here was called a champion oak or white oak... the tree was 52 inches at the base when it was cut... I only got limbs off it because the trunk was too big to handle... I actually ruined 3 chain saws trying to cut up the tree.

JimB

Great job with your first. That's a beautiful piece of wood.

BTW, if you use a waste block between the faceplate and the bowl you will have more wood to work with.

rick roberson

Thank yall again. Ive been turning pens and bottle stoppers for a couple of years now, this was my first attempt at something bigger. With the way the candle holder came out, I plan on making a few more out of the oak and with some sweetgum I found cut down next to my parents house. Ill probably end up giving them as late Xmas gifts to a few close friends back home in Houston that I wasnt able to buy anything for. Ive turned 2 candle holders and a couple bottle stoppers out of the gum so far and will post some pics as soon as I finish up the one Im working on now. I also want to say, that reading these forums has helped imensly. Im sure that without the info I found here the bowl and the candleholders would not have turned out as good as they did.

bricketts528

I've also gotten a lot of ideas from this forum including candle holders! Beautiful job on these first time bowls - they look fabulous and also thanks for posting as now I have some new ideas!

phillywood

They have oaks in Houston... the bowl looks a lot like the spalted white(also called champion) oak I've found around here... it's a great looking bowl and pretty intricate for a first effort. Great shape and finish.
Chuck I know there are oak trees in Houston. From his pics they were not that clear to sistinguish about the blank. but, at closer look you are right it looks like spalted oak tree any ways.

bitshird

Nice turning, White Oak isn't the easiest wood to turn, especially once it starts to spalt, but you sure did beautiful work , good jobs on both, .

robersonjr

Those are some nice looking bowls there David, bet Joy is happy with hers. How did you like the new chisels? I sure like the ones I have, EWT sure makes some fine tools. Robbie

76winger

Awesome looking fist bowl there! And I see it had a little bit of spalting going on, which also adds to the great appearance.

Thanks Uncle Roger.... those chisels cut like a dream. Just need to get dad one of those s shaped chisel rests now...lol. Dad and I went and cut some more off that oak limb and both times I tried to turn them, they blew apart on me. Now I have to replace the glass in the window behind the lathe and they took 2 hellacious chunks out of the ceiling... glad I was standing off to the side of them. There was a white fungus where both of the pieces split that couldnt be seen from the ends, so we are guessing the wood has just been sitting too long and I was lucky to get the pieces I did out of it. Ill post some more pics afterwhile of a few more pieces I turned this week, Im torn between loving sweetgum and being sick of working with it....lol.

robersonjr

Just keep up the good work David, sweet gum is a beautiful wood but sure is a b$#^%$#* to work sometime, the grain just goes every direction. I don't ust that S shaped tool rest, I just like the straight ones. I think I am going to get one of those flat ones that I see at the Woodworkers Source. They look like something that could be easy to use. I may end up just making one depending on what the cost is. Robbie

What Ive been searching for, is anything showing how to keep the pink veins in the wood as long as possible... still havent found anything... I have to run with Joy and the girls over to Lisas house for a cookout, but I will post one pic of the sweetgum for now.... and I know its hard to tell from pics... but that is a 4" candle in there.

Attachments

• ch 2-5.jpg
    ch 2-5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 95

robersonjr

The fact is David that the pink veins will always fade away reguardless of what you finish this with. Natural light will cause the pigment to change and in this case fade the beautiful red veins. This is a very nice bowl. Robbie

Top Bottom