My daughter's first keychain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

This is a piece of Texas Mesquite I got from Phillywood on here. It was a short piece that had some chewed up areas. This is practice for my daughter to make her grandmother a pen for Christmas. I cut the piece to size on the bandsaw, but my daughter drilled & glued the tube in on her own. I then helped her use the mill to face the blank. She turned it on her own after I explained to her about using the bushings as a guide. I then had her do all the sanding. I did the CA finish for her and then did the wet MM. She used a satin keychain kit. The wood looked pretty nice. It has lots of nice markings, so I am glad it came out looking so well for her.

173008-438x.jpg
173009-438x.jpg
173010-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

Your daughter did an excellent job. Just wondering, how old is she? My 7-year-old is taking an interest in turning but I wonder if she is still too young.

ToddMR

Your daughter did an excellent job. Just wondering, how old is she? My 7-year-old is taking an interest in turning but I wonder if she is still too young.

She is 13 and I let her turn most of it on her own. I have a friend who has a step daughter who turns some stuff too. I don't think 7 would be too young. Start out with something big using just some wood. She made a candlestick holder a couple weeks back.

dale

Yes she did a very good job. I think its wonderful when a young person has a intrest in wood working/turning.
I have a 14 year old granddaughter that enjoys getting granddad shop. I've let her turn pens she does good and listens to instructions. Grandson could care less. Although he said he likes the smell of the shop

Keep incouraging her

Dale

IPD_Mrs

Nice job on the key chain. Tell your daughter she'll be making pens that are just great in no time if that was her FIRST attempt at a SMALL project (which many think is harder!)

With respect the question on a 7 year old turning. My biggest fear would be that they haven't fully developed their reflexes yet and we all know that even with all of the proper equipment on accidents still happen. The proper safety equipment will tend to be even more restrictive for a child that young than it is to us, and with slower reflexes when something "snaps" or blows back at them etc, I would worry that they couldn't "get out of the way" quick enough to protect themselves from getting hurt.

LarryDNJR

My step-daughter is six and she did some of the turning on a piece of wood to get the feel for it. The whole time I was right behind her with arms off to the side and ready to react for her. I won't let her do anything by herself by any means. Also have a 12 year step-son I won't let do anything without me at least standing right next to him. Been thinking of putting the full face shield on my little almost 3 year old son and have him help me hold the chisel down on some wood. See if he gets a kick out of it.

OOPS

two little pen turners here

I have a nephew who is 11 and a niece who is 9. Both have turned pens for themselves and their teachers. My brother and I have considered using our lathes to teach the local Boy Scout Troop.

In regards to their reflexes, I haven't seen any problems that might make them more prone to injury. In fact, we started by telling them that if they follow directions, it is easy, but if they don't, it can be dangerous. Both of them paid close attention, and they follow the instructions to the letter. Now, we wouldn't dare let them use the lathe unsupervised, but under the watchful eye of someone who knows what can go wrong, I don't see any problem with youngsters turning.

My niece has trouble with the ergonomics, due to her size. We have tried to use a stool to raise her up, but this has not been successful. She now prefers to turn her pen over several nights, and that has worked out well.

My nephew said that he wanted me to come over and watch him make his next pen, so I can see how good he's getting! Nothing quite warms your heart like that.

Top Bottom