Mulberry Dish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Guess I will call this a candy dish. It is 5" diameter. Made it from a piece of mulberry that Darrel (vasemandj) included in the box with the big piece of redwood as shown earlier.

Thanks again Darrel.

This was my first turning with mulberry. I was surprised how hard and heavy that wood is but it turned and sanded nicely. .

Used tung oil finish on this one so didn't have to polish out any orange peel effect like I sometimes get when spraying with lacquer.

393061270.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Very nice!! Really like the bottom. Is that your signature? I seen it on some of your other projects.

Not really.
It was only my second time using a new spiralling/texturing tool I recently purchased but you never know . . . it very well could become my signature for bowl bottoms.

bitshird

William you just pronounced the death sentence for a mulberry tree we've wanted to get rid of for some time, in truth it has to be cut down, it's growing on two sides of my power line. But at least I know the wood is worth the effort, that is a great bowl/ candy dish.

W.Y.

Real nice William. Do you put any other finish over the tung oil or just buff it out? Or can a person use a wax over it then buff? Carbnuba or hut wax?

With the Minwax tung oil finish (it isn't pure tung oil) It does not usually require any buffing. Just keep applying coats every 12 to 24 hours (depending on humidity in your area) and each one adds a little more gloss. First one soaks in especially on end grain areas and acts as a sealer .
If I want a satin finish I only apply about three coats . If I want semi gloss like this one I add a couple more . It will produce a high gloss if adding more but I seldom go that far.
It does produce a good hard film finish which has about the same durability as poly . Actually, I have heard one of the ingredients in the formula IS poly.

Red Coin

That is a beautiful bowl, the wood is so lively! I would use it for a nut bowl, though, since it has such nice weight and solid appearance...

cheers, dee

Top Bottom