Missing pieces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gwilki

gwilki

I've not been turning pens for a while, but since the "other" board is here, I thought I would post my most recent attempt.

The first pic shows it with the waste pieces still in place, to give a better idea of the pattern and shape. They were just cut up 2 x 4.

The piece is bloodwood. No finish on it yet. I don't know if I like it enough to put a finish on it.
It stand about 10" tall and is about 11" in diameter at its widest.

A great deal of credit for the process goes to Dennis Edwards and David Vannier. I'm just the guy with the wood.

Tks for looking.

Attachments

• before 1.jpg
    before 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 259
  • ready for finish 3.jpg
    ready for finish 3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 315
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Yep, you need to put a finish on it! Makes you go, "Who'd he do that?" But what I really want to know is how you got the 2x4 material out without destroying the form.

ldubia

There are a coupe guys in our local club who do this sort of thing. They glue the form but not the waste pieces. Hot melt glue to hold the pieces in on the inside of the form. When you turn the inside, there is blue painters tape around the outside holding everything in place. When you remove the tape, some of the waste falls out. Some get stuck. At least that's what they say.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Of course you need to finish it.
Then make something simple from the waste pieces so the "average" person doesn't know how you did it - make like a bread board . . . ;)

gwilki

Thanks much for the comments.

Larry has it right.

Here is the process:

In this piece, excluding the solid base, there are 12 rings and each ring has 18 segments. The top ring has 18 keepers. The first ring and the ring next to the to top have one keeper. All the other rings have two keepers. All the other segments are waste.

So, once the segments for a ring are cut, a ring is formed and held together with a big hose clamp – no glue. The ring is centered on the ring below it and the waste segments are hot melt glued to each other, inside and out. Then, the clamp is removed and the keepers and be slid out, spread with pva glue and put back. The top ring is all keepers, so the ring is glued up, then put in place the same way as all the others. The key is to make sure that the pva does not squeeze and glue a keeper to a waste piece.

When it's all glued up, it is turned like any other piece. The hot melt on the outside is turned off while it is being shaped, but the waste is held in place by the hot melt on the inside.

When the outside is sanded and pretty, it is wrapped in blue tape from top to bottom. This will be the only thing holding it all together when the hot melt on the inside is turned off.

The inside is then turned – for me a nerve wracking process – then sanded.

The piece is parted off from the waste block, and the tape is removed. With luck, the waste pieces fall out with a gentle tap, and you can breathe again.

I hope that this long-winded explanation hasn't bored you to death. Thanks for reading.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you do not know if you like enough to put a finish on it, I have a new mantel that it would look great on. Since Mannie's thumb is "out of commission" for a short while, I may go through "withdrawal" for wood stuff......

Mannie' s wife

gwilki

Thank you both very much.

I tried to edit my post, but cannot. The math is wrong.

The top ring has 18 keepers. The ring next to the bottom and the ring next to the top have 3 keepers. All the others have 6 keepers. I was thinking of each complete pattern in my earlier post. Since there are 3 complete patterns, my numbers were off by a factor of 3.

Top Bottom