Turned Five Bucks into Fifty Bucks This Afternoon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Around 11 AM this morning I spotted a piece of 9" wide x 20" long cherry at a garage sale in town. Owner said he would sell cheap because it had some sap wood that he didn't like.
Five bucks later I came home and after lunch turned and finished a couple bowls from that one piece of wood.
I love cherry wood and so do my customers so getting $25.00 each for these will be like taking candy from a kid.
Both were cut from exactly the same size square board of 3/4" thickness and 9" x 9" square . Only difference is the number of rings. Top diameter of each is identical .

403862438.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Cool! 9x9x3/4, that is a good number for me to know. Bet I have some cherry around here:rolleyes:

Was wondering, after you cut the rings an glue them up. How long before you sand, seal, plug the hole in the bottom, and then final finish? Is it a right away kind of thing, or do you let them sit for awhile?

Scott (might slice a slab up) B

raar25

So I finally got on you tube to see the videos about your ring lathe and it is cool. Me want one. So tonight its going to be "please please honey can I have one, I will take good care of it!

W.Y.

Cool! 9x9x3/4, that is a good number for me to know. Bet I have some cherry around here:rolleyes:

Was wondering, after you cut the rings an glue them up. How long before you sand, seal, plug the hole in the bottom, and then final finish? Is it a right away kind of thing, or do you let them sit for awhile?

I started those two bowls from a flat board at 1.00 PM yesterday afternoon .
Cut out the rings and glued and pressed them . Did some yard work for about 1.5 hours and came back and sanded them on the lathe from 100 grit in steps to 400 followed by 0000 steel wool . Cut plugs with a 1/2" tapered plug cutter and glued them in and sanded both inside and outside of the bottom with 2" disc on a hand drill . Applied 2 coats of shellac sanding sealer and two coats of semi gloss lacquer . Took the picture of them as shown at 5.30 before dinner.
Most of the time involved is waiting time for glue and finishes to dry. That usually involves drinking lots of coffee while waiting :biggrin: because I don't have a separate finishing area and don't want to create dust while finishing .

Jgrden

I rarely get 'turned on" by bowl turning but these look useful and well done and I applaud the use of the Cherry.

SDB777

Thanks for the helpful info! I too drink excessive amounts of coffee:eek: Some say too much while I'm waiting on projects.....

Scott (never too much coffee) B

titan2

As for the hole in the bottom......ever tried using a waste block? Just wondering....

Barney

W.Y.

As for the hole in the bottom......ever tried using a waste block? Just wondering....

Plugs from the same piece of wood with same color and grain pattern work very well . Quick and easy and never had a complaint yet with all the dozens of bowls I have both sold and given away.

Top Bottom