maple lace burl bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

Did a winged bowl from some maple lace I purchased on EBay. I wanted to save some of the pointed spines coming out. I used the burl on the right in the first picture. The 2nd shows the edge and some of the natural edge I was able to save. Third is the finished product I used min wax antique oil finish the last picture is just a close up of the figure in the bowl.
C and C welcome Thanks for looking William

Attachments

• maple lace burl 1.jpg
    maple lace burl 1.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 137
  • maple lace burl 3.jpg
    maple lace burl 3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 147
  • maple lace burl 5.jpg
    maple lace burl 5.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 165
  • maple lace burl 4.jpg
    maple lace burl 4.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Great bowl William, excellent job.
The flying ends get a bit scary, hey.
If I don't really want to sell something it is usually the first to go. So I price it to make me happy, if it sells then I have the cash and if it doesn't sell then I still have it.
Bob.

robutacion

Great piece mate, that is one of the best ways I see to showcase a piece of burl...!

Those shallow burl caps, are ideal for that sort of work, you show every part of the burl, including all the natural spikes. Talking of "spikes", lets just say that, I don't recommend any fairly new/inexperience turner attempt something like this, as much as the visual effect may attract you, if you want to keep all your fingers intact, you should start with "regular shaped" bowls, platters, etc.:wink::biggrin:

Don't wanting to sell what you "just" made, is not uncommon and I have to admit, I'm one of those...! Necessity sometimes, leaves you with no choice and if you like it that much, is because it has something "special" in it, whatever that may be, the right person will see it and will want it.

The reason I said "just", is because of a natural attachment we get with the "things" we make, while is new and you haven't done another piece yet, that will be imprinted in your head and if if was an exceptional piece, when finished, either because it was planned like that or, you just "got lucky":wink: that attachment is even stronger.

Because I don't need to sell my turnings, the wife gets them all, some as a surprise, other she see me making them and, claims it before she even knows that, is a commissioned job, then, she gets pretty sad so, I make her something similar.

There is not a lot more space in the house for all the stuff I make, when I get the "urge" however, and this is when selling/gifting things becomes a little easier for me is when, the turnings have sat on display in the house somewhere for some time, normally 1 year will do it, when someone visits and show interest in a particular piece, the wife Merissa already knows what to do, if is simply a visitor to buy blanks/wood (yes, we take them to the house for a cup of coffee/tea and some bikies, particularly the wifes that Merissa takes care of while I take care of the guys...!) she consults me with the lady(s) interest on a particular piece and I give Merissa a value that I believe fair, if that interested person is a friend , Merissa simply wrap it with some nice paper or puts it in a nice paper bag and waits for when they are prepared to leave, to present them with a gift...!:wink::biggrin::good:

We never miss those pieces then, no regrets so, yes mate, sometimes is hard to let go...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom