Making an er 32 collet chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I wanted an ER-32 collet chuck for my Atlas 6in lathe. I have one for my sherline lathe from Mr. Beal and love it. But to use it on my Atlas I had to stick an MT2-3/4-16 adapter in it and that cut down on feeding rod through the spindle. I have the later edition of the lathe and they changed the spindle thread from 1-8 tpi to 1-10 tpi. Now I can find er32 collet chucks all over the place for 1-8 but in order to use one on my lathe I would have to make or buy an adapter or recut the threads on the one I have for the Sherline. None of which I wanted to do. I bought one off ebay I thought I could turn down and re thread to fit but I ruined 4 or 5 of Mike Roux's carbide inserts trying the thing was so hard.
I belong to a taig owners club forum that has a member that really really know his stuff. He has a tutorial on how to build a collet chuck and its link is here.
Atlas 618 ER Collet Chuck

I pretty much followed his tutorial step by step with the exception I cut the collet taper before I cut the threads. I also had the Beal collet I could mount and match the angle with my compound which took all the guess work out of it.
I had to make an mt2 adapter that would pass through the inside of the collet chuck and into the spindle so I could grip the spindle to manually turn it to make the threads. Here's a picture of the collet chuck I made. I knurled the back end to aid in gripping it. THe nut is from the one I couldnt get turned down and ruined. I did order the 12l14 steel to make it off ebay.
ercollet%25201.JPG

After cutting the inside taper I did run the dial indicator on the taper and it had .0015 run out. When I finished the threads for the nut I put a piece of .375 brass in the collet and made some sample cuts and put the D/I back on it to check run out on the actual cut. It measures less than .001run out. It does come off zero but only about 1/2 way to the first mark. If i need to test it any closer I will have to get a dial indicator that can measure smaller than .001. In reality im calling this one good enough for pen parts.:rolleyes:

Take the time to browse around in Dean's site he is a very talented man.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well done Mike.
Is there enough knurling on there to grip when tightening and loosening?
I don't use my collet chuck very often, but I find it often needs a lot more effort to loosen than tightening, after some turning.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I havent had a problem with it yet but if it becomes one I will drill it with a .250 or 6.5m drill bit to put a bar or spanner wrench in.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Since we talked about it I went ahead and drilled the holes for the spanner wrench before it became a problem. I have a spanner wrench from the Beal collet that fits its very well.

Top Bottom