Jet BD 9X20N lathe tool post mod?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike D

My lathe is now operational. I got the belts from a local source and am now looking to improve the tool post and clamp for the cross slide.

I found a Quick Change Tool Post on LITTLE MACHINE SHOP'S website. Quick Change Tool Post Set for 9x20 Lathe - LittleMachineShop.com

It says it will fit the 9X20 lathe for $99.00. The only concern I have is that the main body is made from 6061 T6 aluminum and the holders are made of steel.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is the main body rigid enough and have any of you guys purchased this QCTP?

2. Have any of you purchased from LITTLE MACHINE SHOP?

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

I will be changing out the 2 bolt hold down on the cross slide for a 4 bolt clamp. I have been on the YAHOO 9X20 site and have found a ton of info and it's a great source of info but not a lot on this particular distributor.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

I've purchased stuff for my mini lathe and mini mill over the years, nothing recently but have always had good service from them and the parts are just fine.

Only gripe I have about them is no response to a e-mail inquiry about a part (one I was interested in, not one I had ordered). Maybe got lost in the spam or something, who knows.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have purchased from LMS several times with no problems, I have that qctp. It has its limitations but works ok. Mike Roux has done a few of those mods and recomends LMS often. I use mine on my atlas 6in lathe and used it to make my own er32 collet chuck out of steel.

NC Wood Art

I made a threaded adapter for my tool cross slide & then ordered the axa aloris type QCTP from LMS no problems. Best mod I did for my 9x20 jet.

Bill

Gilrock

I have the same lathe and I bought this set:
Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

You do have to learn to use your lathe a little to install this QCTP. The bolt it needs to attach to is larger diameter than the one on the lathe. But you can take the bolt that comes with this set and make a threaded sleeve that will fit over the existing bolt. If I remember right you will need an M8 tap to do the threading. It was a pretty fun mod to do and it looks so good you would think the lathe came that way. If you do go this route and want more tips I could take a few photos and measurements of the sleeve I created.

BKelley

Mike,

I purchased a 8.5 x 16 lathe, a mini mill and quite a few accessories from LMS and got good service and quality merchandise. If you are leery about the aluminum QCTP, they have an all steel version I believe the number is 3048 OXA.

Ben

RogerBean

A second to all the positive comments on LMS. Like Bkelley I am also using the LMS 8.5 x 16 lathe and installed the 3048 OXA wedge type tool post. I have since replaced my piston type A2Z toolpost on my mini lathe as well so I could interchange tool holders. However, I had no problems with the piston unit on the mini lathe. I still tend to favor the wedge unit. For what it's worth. LMS service has been stellar.
Roger

Gilrock

After looking at all the LMS tool posts I'm still happy with the Phase II QCTP I bought from Enco and linked earlier. I like the way the mechanism works on it that puts the pressure on the holders. I can't even tell how they mechanically accomplishing that on some of those tool posts. But if you insist on buying an LMS one I'd suggest you get the 2280 AXA version for your 9x20. That would be the equivalent to the version I linked earlier and they recommend it for a 9x20 in the description.
Quick Change Tool Post Set, AXA - LittleMachineShop.com

Mike D

Thank you all for your informative responses. They are most helpful in making my decision.
Gilrock thank you for the links, I didn't see the 2280 AXA QCTP that LMS supplies when I visited their site but that looks to be better than the smaller aluminum one I first looked at. Thanks for the link. And yes I will be updating to the 4 bolt hold down. I'll be getting some steel tomorrow and machining my own soon, hopefully this weekend.
Again thanks guys for your help!

Last edited:

Gilrock

Thank you all for your informative responses. They are most helpful in making my decision.
Gilrock thank you for the links, I didn't see the 2280 AXA QCTP that LMS supplies when I visited their site but that looks to be better than the smaller aluminum one I first looked at. Thanks for the link. And yes I will be updating to the 4 bolt hold down. I'll be getting some steel tomorrow and machining my own soon, hopefully this weekend.
Again thanks guys for your help!

Just to be clear if you do get the 2280 remember you will need to modify the mounting bolt it comes with to make a sleeve to go over your existing bolt. The smaller aluminum one would fit with no modifications needed.

Drilling and tapping the bolt took me quite a while. At first I was trying to figure out how far to drill up into the bolt but when you tap you don't get good threads all the way up as far as you drilled so in the end it became easier just drilling the hole all the way through and it looked nice in the end.

Top Bottom