Lathe Maintenance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I have had my delta for about 1-2 months now and I think the dust is causing it so make a sound when running. It almost sounds like it is rubbing on something.

Does anyone know of a good resource that talks about how to maintain a lathe? I never worried about it before with my HF but the Delta is so much nicer.

I also would like to eliminate the small play in my tailstock so I have been looking for tips on that as well but have been unsuccessful.

I think I need to lubricate the headstock spindle but I am not sure. I never worried about protecting my Harbor Freight investment because of the extended service plan and the fact it was only $180.

I am afraid of taking the Delta out of alignment so I am afraid to touch it. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glen r

If its the Delta 46-460 check the ribbed belt. When I got my lathe it too stated making funny noises when running and I narrowed it down to the belt. When the belt was made not all of the material in the groves was removed and when the full groves turned over the top pulley there was a noise. I used an Exacto knife and cleaned all of the stuff in the groves and now the lathe is almost silent when running. My tailstock was right on when I bought the lathe over 2 years ago so I can't comment on your issue. A better description of what you mean by loose could help other pin point you problem.

Hope this helps.

brownsfn2

When I mean loose I mean is ever so slightly twists back and forth if that makes sense. I was not sure if was something that could be corrected so there is no play in it at all.

BSea

When I mean loose I mean is ever so slightly twists back and forth if that makes sense. I was not sure if was something that could be corrected so there is no play in it at all.
I have a 46-460, and I have a bit of play in the tailstock too. I think that's normal.

jasontg99

I have a 46-460, and I have a bit of play in the tailstock too. I think that's normal.

I noticed the exact same thing on mine as well. Luckily a while back I purchased a washer replacement from JohhnyCNC for my Jet 1014VS. It replaces the flat washer on the bottom of the tailstock. I took it off the Jet and it was a perfect fit for the Delta. It immediately fixed the problem. I will take some pics as soon as I get home later next week. JohnnyCNC does not have them on his website anymore, but it should be a easy thing to make for our metalworking friends to make.

Jason

Wildman

Guess we are talking about Delta 46-460 mini lathe, manual easy to follow especially chapter on lathe maintenance. Spells out what, when, and how to do it.

Did not see anything on tailstock adjustments. If loose when not locked down that is okay makes it easier to slide along ways. Normally there is a nut on the bottom that can tighten, just don't over tighten. Go easy! Always re-check alignment after tightening.
I found just a squirt of oil made a big difference in tailstock operation no tightening necessary.

Carl Fisher

I noticed the exact same thing on mine as well. Luckily a while back I purchased a washer replacement from JohhnyCNC for my Jet 1014VS. It replaces the flat washer on the bottom of the tailstock. I took it off the Jet and it was a perfect fit for the Delta. It immediately fixed the problem. I will take some pics as soon as I get home later next week. JohnnyCNC does not have them on his website anymore, but it should be a easy thing to make for our metalworking friends to make.

Jason

Do share! I'd love to rid myself of the play in the tailstock on my Jet. Very frustrating.

PenMan1

As Glen mentioned above, the Delta's design sends quite a bit of dust to the ribbed v-belt and to the variable speed motor control.

I DID find that my noise was coming from the belt . As soon as I got rid of the sawdust clog on the belt the noise went away. Noticing all of the dust on the lathe head, I opened the shroud covining the speed control.

I found the motor contro full of dust, too. After complete cleaning, I sealed the "gap" where the plastic shroud meets the metal lathe head with a seam of black gaffer's tape. This has almost completely eliminated the dust in the control unit.

Depending on the age of your 46-460,(design changed about 11/2011) check the area around the On/Off switch. Depending on which model you own, you may be sending dust into the machine at this switch, also.

brownsfn2

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think that the play in the tailstock just must be how it is made. It is so slight that I just need to make sure when I lock it down that it is pointed in the right direction.

I will take the other suggestions for maintenance and see if I can eliminate that noise.

Top Bottom