Knife maker, future pen maker from TX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Travis Fry

I've been making knives for about 6 years, and am planning to start making pens soon. There is a lot of overlap with materials and equipment and, in my case, interest, so it seems like a natural fit. Need to sell a few more knives so I can get a lathe....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Big

Welcome from a new pen turner in Pensacola, FL. I seriously thought about making knives.

BJohn

Welcome from Arkansas, I do believe you are from around Houston. A stone throw from Waco.

For a ton more help and a great time. SWAT is in Waco, starts two weeks from tomorrow. Here is a link to the web page. Home

There will also be a pen turners special interest group meeting Friday evening.

Kenny Durrant

BJohn must have one heck of an arm. Austin is a 2 hour drive depending on speed and traffic. I agree with you Travis there is an overlap in materials. I get quite a bit of my blanks and other things for segmenting from a knife supplier.

stonepecker

Welcome from Minnesota.

Do you have an interest in building a few knives for me? I would supply you with the wood and general shape I would like.
Basic hunting knives is what I am thinking.

Always willing to help someone get a tool. Save your nickles and get a good one.

Last edited:

Travis Fry

Welcome from Minnesota.

Do you have an interest in building a few knives for me? I would supply you with the wood and general shape I would like.
Basic hunting knives is what I am thinking.

Always willing to help someone get a tool. Save your nickles and get a good one.

I prefer not to take custom orders because then my hobby feels like work. I like to work at my own pace on what I feel like working on so that it stays interesting. Currently, everything I make is sold through my mailing list, which can be signed up for on my website. The link is in my sig line.

Thanks for your interest!

rrumohr1

Welcome to the adventure. I am a recent turner too. Learned a few lesson on equipment. One tip is to save for a variable speed lathe. Finding that I move belts more often than I thought. Check this forum or Facebook Penturners for members cleaning shop. I got a good start of products in bundles this way.

Have fun.
Rob Rumohr
Fargo ND

Sub Vet 10

Welcome Travis. I'm right up the road from you in BW8/290 area.
I just bought some knives and scales because I had the same thought as you...
Craigslist has a fair amount of lathes if you want to go that route. If not, I think Penn State has the best "Intro Packages".
Get in on the Greater Houston Group ( http://www.penturners.org/forum/f101/ ) Monty, WildThings, vanngo5d have a tremendous amount of knowledge. (Wild does knives and pens).
Feel free to hit me up for any questions, I will probably do the same!

Top Bottom