Knife Block

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

A client asked me to make a knife block for his wife who is a chef. She carries her knives in a roll-up pouch, but hasn't been able to find a block which will hold the sizes she uses. It sounded like fun, so I asked him to trace the blades on a piece of paper. This is what I came up with.

It's made from solid red oak with mahagony trim.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• knifeBlock1.jpg
    knifeBlock1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 259
  • knifeBlock2.jpg
    knifeBlock2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 218
  • knifeBlock3.jpg
    knifeBlock3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oldsmokey

Hi Richard, you have done a real good job on the knife block.
I have done several commercial kitchens when I was contracting. The Board of Health, at least in Calif., would not allow that block in a commercial kitchen. The grooves on the side will collect bacteria and will be hard to clean. The entire surface would have to be non-porous.
Other states may allow a wood block so you might be OK. Whenever I made something for a commercial kitchen it was made out of corian.
Ellis

Rchan63

Hi Richard

I can't tell but is it sitting straight up or angled? Straight up 90 degree can have differcult getting the knives out of the slot.
BTW I really like the design, the mahogany trim bring it all together.

Rmartin

Hi Richard, you have done a real good job on the knife block.
I have done several commercial kitchens when I was contracting. The Board of Health, at least in Calif., would not allow that block in a commercial kitchen. The grooves on the side will collect bacteria and will be hard to clean. The entire surface would have to be non-porous.
Other states may allow a wood block so you might be OK. Whenever I made something for a commercial kitchen it was made out of corian.
Ellis

Yes, California has outlawed most everything. Nearly every product today comes with a California hazmat proposition warning label. Would a basket of fruit be considered a bacteria collector?

The block has been sealed with 5 coats of lacquer, which once cured is completely benign. It was then buffed with bee's wax which is totally edible. It's used to coat pills by the medical industry. This probably would not satisfy California, but I live in a state where freedom from over government regulation has not driven businesses out of business and bankrupted our state.

Live free or die my friend.

Top Bottom