Just Finish Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

I wanted to make a gift for my Granddaughter to take when we go visit in a couple weeks. Decided on a jewelry box or catch-all box. I've never made a box like this before, so it was a fun adventure. The box (curly maple) portion lifts out of the bottom trim to give access to a "secret" compartment. Not really very secret. Anyway, it is curly maple and a rosewood. C & C appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1535m.JPG
    IMG_1535m.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1528m.JPG
    IMG_1528m.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1529m.JPG
    IMG_1529m.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1530m.JPG
    IMG_1530m.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1531m.JPG
    IMG_1531m.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Very, Very nice Paul. She will love and treasure that gift and likely pass it down to her own daughter.

Fishinbo

Wonderful box! Great design and the wood combo is really pretty, very nice use of contrasting colors. I'm sure grand daughter appreciates it and will cherish it. Great job!

PaulDoug

Thank you all for the nice comments. The plans came from the Wood Magazine site, cost $4.50. I was surprised, they were well done plans and I followed pretty much set by set. The only problem I had was I think there is an error in their measurements for the very bottom piece. I cut the 1/8" hardboard to their measurements and it was too big. I double checked and triple checked my measurement and all other measurements matched the plans, so I think it was an error in the plans. It was an easy adjustment. I did build my handle different than what the plans call for, Theirs was a solid piece and I didn't care for the look of it.

Fun project and thanks again for your comments.

Janster

Very nice work Paul! Anyone woulld be happy to get that as a gift ! Be well............Jan

leaycraft

Really nice, I love the contrast between the woods, and the figure on the maple looks very nice. The chatoyence looks very bright- what type of finish did you use to get the figure to show so well?

PaulDoug

Really nice, I love the contrast between the woods, and the figure on the maple looks very nice. The chatoyence looks very bright- what type of finish did you use to get the figure to show so well?

I use 100% Pure Tung oil, First two coats I thinned it to about 50x50 with mineral spirits then two more coat of just tung oil.

Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom