Recycled pen display cabinets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

:hammer: A while back, in someone elses thread, I posted a few photos of two display cabinets I purchased at a yard sale for $5 each. Although they had three open sides and top, they were black from top to bottom including the plywood shelves. Great for my coffin pen cases, but not much of anything else. I promised to post an updated photo when I refinished one, and here it is. Don't let the model cars and pens fool you, it never made it out of the shop before it was claimed for the dining room and part of my wife's Snow Baby collection. I added the bottom cabinet, which is on hidden wheels, and can be used with or without the upper unit. The finish is a Crackeled antique white over a gold base coat and makes the units look very old. Mirrors are on the bottoms of the units, and inside the back of the base cabinets. I am now in the process of installing super bright (6000 K ) LED ribbon lighting to the bottoms of the shelves and under the tops of the units. Will post photos when completed. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (540x640).jpg
    DSCF0001 (540x640).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCF0002 (605x640).jpg
    DSCF0002 (605x640).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCF0001 (349x640).jpg
    DSCF0001 (349x640).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:hypnotized: Thanks Paul; Yes that's true!! She is already hinting as to how nice the two would look together in the formal dining room with her Grandmother clock in between them. Jim S

SDB777

Do you have any of the 'work in progress' photo's? Sure would like to see the 'magic' happening from the $5 'deal' to the $500 'the wife took away from me'!!

Outstanding 'flatwork'!!!!

Scott (a lot of effort there) B

plantman

Do you have any of the 'work in progress' photo's? Sure would like to see the 'magic' happening from the $5 'deal' to the $500 'the wife took away from me'!!

Outstanding 'flatwork'!!!!

Scott (a lot of effort there) B

Scott; the three photos are. 1 As I bought it at the yard sale. 2 As I replaced the back panel ( now the front ) with glass, added cherry shelf frames with glass inserts, installed custom made moldings top and bottom, and used Kilz primer and stain blocker to get rid of the black. 3 is the finished, all 7 coats, cabinet with the lower section added along with the mirrors. Next step will be the lighting. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom