I just got my package from Exotic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CabinetMaker

I just got my package of pen kits from Exotic Blanks last night and I couldn't wait to open it. The Gun Metal Sierra kits will be perfect for the graduation gifts I have in mind. I dug a little deeper into the box looking for the freebie. Would it be an acrylic blank with an interesting swirl of color? A wood blank with a nice touch of figure? A feather blank? A rope twist blank? (Hey, a guy can dream, can't he!?) Oh, the anticipation! I found it. A package of Tootsie Rolls.

Okay, not exactly what I was expecting. But it got me to thinking. A Tootsie Roll blank, maybe cast in a white acrylic. Yeah, that sounds tasty. So what do I need... A pressure pot and casting materials and molds and ... Okay, I am not set up to do casting and my wife would skin me alive if I start buying the stuff I need to start casting. My first casting project would likely be an arm cast for me.

Hmm... Well, the bash will be here before we know it so maybe I can use these to enter the edible pen contest. That has some potential. They are fresh Tootsie Rolls so they area still pliable and can be formed. I mulled a few ideas over in my head and I settled a good one. Imagine my surprise when I looked down to discover that I had eaten my raw materials! Oh well. Time to place another order.

Ed, all kidding aside, thank you for the prompt service on my order. The Tootsie Rolls were much enjoyed. Keep up the good work!

(Side bar: At work we have a special printer for printing arc flash warning labels. We have to order the printing stock from one company and the they always include M&M's in their orders. Almond Roca's around Christmas time. I always make sure I am the one who orders the labels because I look forward to the M&M's. I think candy is a nice little freebie to find in a package.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After a period of time (in this case, about 5 years), any "rewards program" becomes stale. The "blank freebee" was always flawed, because the customer is not choosing the blank. So, we started to see the blanks being "re-gifted" or, in some cases, sold outright. And, we were not hearing or seeing anyone enjoying making pens from the freebees any more.

Well, everyone either likes candy or can find a loved-one who will enjoy it, so that is our "stop gap" until we develop a new "customer reward" program.

Happily, I can report that our software is functioning well again, carts are working without incident, we are well-positioned to add features. Some have already been added---more are coming.

The original intent of "freebees" remains unchanged: To give our customers a little more than they expect. But, we think we can develop a way where customers will be able to choose their own "little extra"---

We plan Exotics with the goal of making each Fall show season better than the last one. While we expect this will be in place in the next month or so---it is safer to say, Watch developments as September draws near.

Meanwhile, we hope you enjoy the sweets!! Mints, tootsie rolls, "smarties"---anything that will ship well may accompany your next order!!

Thank-you for choosing ExoticBlanks.com!!!

Dawn & Ed

Timbo

Ed - I really enjoyed getting the blank freebees from you and another vendor I order from. I didn't consider it a flaw that I did not choose the blank. I like that it was a surprise. It gave me the opportunity to turn something I might not have chosen myself, and I've turned just about everyone that I've gotten. I recently got a roll of Smarties in an order (not from you)...those I threw in the trash...however, tootsie rolls might tempt me.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I also received some Tootsie Rolls with my last order and thought it was a nice touch.

Akula

I always enjoyed the free blanks. I used them to re-gift...as a completed pen. I'm sorry for never sharing a pen photo. I have a couple left, so next time I will correct it.

lyonsacc

I just turned a freebee last night! However, a tootsie roll would get used more quickly - and with just as big of a smile!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The candy is a "stop-gap".

Our goal is to let you choose your own reward---we will get that to happen, how soon is the only question.

In the past year, we gave out literally thousands of blanks---so that idea has run it's course. On to bigger and better!!!

After a period of time (in this case, about 5 years), any "rewards program" becomes stale. The "blank freebee" was always flawed, because the customer is not choosing the blank. So, we started to see the blanks being "re-gifted" or, in some cases, sold outright. And, we were not hearing or seeing anyone enjoying making pens from the freebees any more...

...Thank-you for choosing ExoticBlanks.com!!!

Dawn & Ed

To prove that yes, Ed and Dawn gave away blanks

I just have yet to find a proper kit to put with it.
One thing Ed, there was a blank I got as a freebie that I have used and I would like to get a few more but I just can't locate it. It's the Madereperlato-Cherry Red blank.

Update, Ed, Dawn. Never mind, I found the Blank, Wish I figured it out sooner.

Attachments

• freeblank2a.jpg
    freeblank2a.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Freeblank1.jpg
    Freeblank1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

eranox

I may be an exception, but bonus blanks that I have received have significantly influenced what I purchased in the future. My first taste of amboyna burl was a short, crooked blank with a couple of prominent voids that was included free with an Ebay order. I filled the voids with something decorative (I forget what), turned it, and made a Gatsby from it. It was one of the best pens I ever made.

Before that, I would have laughed at spending 10 or 12 dollars on ONE blank. Now I do it all the time...dangit. My first acrylic blank was also a freebie. I probably would have gotten around to acrylics anyway, but the result of that first blank prompted a next-day order of 30 more!

I like the freebie blank programs precisely because I am not choosing the blanks. I am frequently put outside of my comfort zone, and that's a good thing.

It's true that a company doesn't need a freebie program for me to shop there. Good products, good prices, and good service are far more important. I just wanted to say that I do appreciate the bonuses, and I make note of the companies that provide them and those that don't. I may not remember where I bought a particular blank, but I always know where my freebies came from.

triw51

"It's true that a company doesn't need a freebie program for me to shop there. Good products, good prices, and good service are far more important. I just wanted to say that I do appreciate the bonuses, and I make note of the companies that provide them and those that don't. I may not remember where I bought a particular blank, but I always know where my freebies came from."

This is so true and so are the comments that say they like the blanks that are a surprize to them. Ed and Dawn I have thanked you for the freebies but have not shared photos of the finished products I must admit I did not think of that. I will correct that in the near future.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please don't take any offense, anyone!! We are not "punishing"---as I said, I have seen the freebees on this site for sale or give aways. In the past year we gave away over ten thousand blanks----no one or two (or 10) people would have made a difference---it is time to do a new program!!

JP1337

I'm not normally one to dig up an old post like this, but as I stumbled upon this thread the same day that my first ever order from Exotic Blanks arrived, I couldn't resist adding how much I enjoyed the peanut m&m's in my order.

Living in Australia, the shipping cost alone, not to mention the currency conversion from US to AU, stung pretty bad, having paid AU$225 to have 8 blanks and a pack of non-stick bushings arrive. Ouch.

But the first thing I see when I open the box was not 1 but 2 packs of peanut m&m's,
a fun surprise, to be sure.

jttheclockman

I'm not normally one to dig up an old post like this, but as I stumbled upon this thread the same day that my first ever order from Exotic Blanks arrived, I couldn't resist adding how much I enjoyed the peanut m&m's in my order.

Living in Australia, the shipping cost alone, not to mention the currency conversion from US to AU, stung pretty bad, having paid AU$225 to have 8 blanks and a pack of non-stick bushings arrive. Ouch.

But the first thing I see when I open the box was not 1 but 2 packs of peanut m&m's,
a fun surprise, to be sure.

It is funny or probably not but just 2 days ago I found some clock inserts on the net and wanted to buy. I had bought from this company before in the past and they were from Australia. I get my order together and go to the shopping cart to check out and found out shipping was an additional $100 US and I could not pull the trigger. I do not remember ever paying that much for shipping so I do feel your pain. The problem is I can not find those insert anywhere else so one day I will get in one of those buying moods and hit send on the keyboard.:):)

You need to plan your shopping spree to include more if you are buying from them again. I am sure Ed and Dawn can help there.:):):)

bpgoldo

And I keep on ordering from Ed

A while ago, I opened the latest box bringing me an order from Ed at Exotic Blanks. In it I found a freeby "Season's Splendor" blank included. It wasn't a style that I would normally select, so I put it aside and thought about it. It reminded me of leaves changing and Trees in the autumn. What would that look like at three inches long with a pen stickin' out of it? Well, see the attached photo. Thanks Ed for your generosity and the challenge to stretch my craft. Oh yeah, I ordered three more.....not bad! And the orders to Exotic keep rollin' on.

Attachments

• STRATUS - PONDEROSA.jpg
    STRATUS - PONDEROSA.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 116

stonepecker

The freebies are always welcomed here. If it is candy, the wife and kids get it. If it was a blank.....the wife and kits get it. I always got the enjoyment of making the pens.

Whatever 'program' Ed and Dawn come up with next.......it for sure will be a pleasure to everyone.

Thanks Exotic Blanks.

JP1337

It is funny or probably not but just 2 days ago I found some clock inserts on the net and wanted to buy. I had bought from this company before in the past and they were from Australia. I get my order together and go to the shopping cart to check out and found out shipping was an additional $100 US and I could not pull the trigger. I do not remember ever paying that much for shipping so I do feel your pain. The problem is I can not find those insert anywhere else so one day I will get in one of those buying moods and hit send on the keyboard.:):)

You need to plan your shopping spree to include more if you are buying from them again. I am sure Ed and Dawn can help there.:):):)

Since that order I came to realise that to make an order worthwhile, the cart needs to be very full, but the currency conversion hurts.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I have fallen in love with the full size Gentleman pen kits from CSUSA (rhodium plating with gold accents looks stunning). I just can't find anywhere locally that stocks them so I am going to have to order them from Exotic some time soon.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love waiting for my boxes from Exotic Blanks...

So do my wife and daughter... I have NEVER, REPEAT NEVER gotten to taste the "add ins" aka: chocolates, M & M 's; etc... But, I do see empty packages and torn chocolate wrappers...

Getting boxes from Ed and Dawn are not a problem... Life could be much worse. :)

mecompco

My wife loves the M&Ms. I once got a freebie Rotocrylics blank (very generous) which is great, because I probably would never have tried one, given the cost. Of course, now I'm hooked on them, especially the dragons.

Regards,
Michael

keithncsu

Placed my largest order yet (other than power tools) with them today. Anticipation over tootsie rolls or the infamous m&ms I haven't seen yet has commenced haha!

Top Bottom