How do you prefer to buy pen blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

How do you prefer to buy pen blanks online?

• Individual Blanks

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Sets of 5 to 8 blanks of the same type

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Sets of 5 to 8 mixed blanks

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Medium or Large box of like blanks

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Medium or Large box of mixed blanks

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • A la Carte - let me pick from a selection

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • Shipping included in price

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Shipping not included, I'll pay actual shipping

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MRDucks2

I am going to be getting rid of a significant number of my 3000+ pen banks since it looks like I will be relocating (again) in the next 6 months or so.

The question is, how do you prefer to buy pen blanks online? You can make up to 3 choices.

I appreciate everyone's help. This poll will be open for 2 weeks and you can see how it is going after you vote.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

I buy boards from places like Cook Woods and our local hardwood store then slice'em on my bandsaw.

However, to answer your question above, I typically buy at least a dozen of single species. I do buy singletons sometimes when it comes to hybrid or acrylics. However, I typically try to get a couple in case I blow one out I have a backup like it.

Good luck moving your blanks!

dogcatcher

I trt to buy 18" to 36" lengths. I cut off what I need for pen I am working on. I end up with a lot less end cutoff waste.

On the precut short pen length blanks, I buy large lots of same species. On those I only really use maple and walnut. I usually buy a medium flat rate box of each.

I try to buy historical (like you've sent me Mike) or hard to find woods. I've got about a hundred BF of Walnut that I've had for years and have made a lot more knife scales than pen blanks. I've also got a bunch of Koa that I use mostly for knives. So long story, I don't buy a lot of wood blanks but do buy acrylics as needed.

jttheclockman

I know you are trying to gauge how to sell off your inventory but to answer the question in the broad sense of it. I have way too many blanks now and I love making my own. With that said if I were to buy It would an acrylic that is usually Italian or some really outstanding blank. The older materials are far superior than what anyone can make today. When I first started I was in gathering mode and bought many acrylic blanks that I look back on now and wish I had not. I maybe one day in your shoes and sell off my stock too. Good luck.

Top Bottom