Cursive letter router templates?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Is it possible to use router templates to do cursive, or cursive-ish writing in wood? I've seen templates that produce sort of block style letters but I can't wrap my head around how cursive templates would work or what they would look like, but I'm not the best visualizer either.

Where might you find such a template set?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very easy to do with a scrollsaw. Rockler use to have a script template set. But warning the letters are rather large so not sure what you are after. With todays Cnc routers it is easy. Can do with lasers as well. Also another route to go is with these plastic making machines. Forgot what they are called.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think it can be done but it would take numerous templates to complete individual cursive letters. It takes two templates for each "loop" letter to be completed such as A or a, B/b D/d e in lower case, g, O, P/p Q/q, R.

I looked at router templates for special designs and was blown away at the number for something that I thought would be a 2 or 3 template set - such as a butterfly or a flower, etc.

Cursive would be much easier on a CNC as John mentioned. I have done some with a scroll saw (a couple of times) , but mostly I used to do Kanji characters with a scroll saw. Been a while since I did that.

jttheclockman

Again without knowing what you are doing these are only suggestions. But you could always print out the words and do it freehand. Possibly use a dremel tool. The other machine I was thinking off was those 3d printers that are popular now. Or as I said route by hand which they call wood carving. Good luck.

cl1237

Here's Rocklers script font template, but as Jon mention, it only comes in one size. I have a couple of the state park font sets but don't use them very much any more. I print most of the templates for my signs on a cricit vinyl cutter. Stick the vinyl on the work piece after weeding out the template. I found a lot work succes with this than using spray adhesive on a paper template

egnald

I use the Rockler Signmaker's State Park Templates, but I don't have the Script Font (yet anyway).
I have all three of their sizes, the 1-1/2", the 2-1/4", and the 3-3/8" and even though it takes multiple passes to make letters, their system works quite well (for me anyway).

Dave

Top Bottom