Personal Opinion, Certain Thread Titles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I have decided that I will no longer be reading any threads that use the word (or any of its derivatives) "Bespoke" in it's title.

Someone can make the most beautiful, original pen every created but it is just that; a beautiful, original pen. I have yet to read a thread that actually talked about or displayed an item that was, per the definition of bespoke, actually bespoke. That is, something that was tailored (or made) for a specific customer/individual to specifications and using materials specified by said customer/individual.

This is of couse, my decision and wanted others that feel as I do to know you are not alone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BoonareeBurl

I have decided that I will no longer be reading any threads that use the word (or any of its derivatives) "Bespoke" in it's title.

Someone can make the most beautiful, original pen every created but it is just that; a beautiful, original pen. I have yet to read a thread that actually talked about or displayed an item that was, per the definition of bespoke, actually bespoke. That is, something that was tailored (or made) for a specific customer/individual to specifications and using materials specified by said customer/individual.

This is of couse, my decision and wanted others that feel as I do to know you are not alone.
In your opinion, can a bespoke pen be a kit pen if the wood and the shape and finish are per the client's specifications?

G

Kenny Durrant

In a previous response "Here We Go Again" and since your title has " Opinion" I thought I'd offer up mine. I didn't respond to the other threads, at least that I remember, because it's no big deal to me. Im not saying it shouldn't matter to others. I look at all the pens regardless of what's said about them because I might pick up a new idea. When I go to a craft show I look at all the booths hoping to find something new to me anyway. I'll look at jewelry along with all the women because I've found some things that helped me with my own hobby. I do understand your frustration with the definition of the word but why let it bother you to the point you might miss something for your next project? It might be that my vocabulary is so limited that people can say whatever and it just flies over my head. This might be a stretch but Religion and Politics are not allowed here because of the different opinions and to avoid conflicts. Do they need to add certain words? If so then since we're an international group someone will need to learn the other languages to keep everyone in line. Please don't miss understand what I'm trying to say. Im not saying your wrong or to change your mind. I'd hate to see anyone miss out on something new. Thanks and Have a Great Day.

PreacherJon

Etymology: In the English language of yore, the verb bespeak had various meanings, including "to speak," "to accuse," and "to complain." In the 16th century, bespeak acquired another meaning: "to order or arrange in advance." It is from that sense that we get the adjective bespoke, referring to clothes and other things that are ordered before they are made.

Why is everyone suddenly using the word bespoke?

"American clothing companies, or companies that sell mainly to Americans, have recently adopted this term as a marketing tool to "enhance"the appeal of their wares because it makes customers feel as though they are back in an age when tailors custom-made their clothing, in other words makes customers feel "special."May 18, 2021"

jttheclockman

We have been down this road just recently too. I voiced my opinion in those threads so will not repeat here. I won't even talk to anyone if they use the word WOKE. Talk about an abstract word that means nothing in my eyes. I tried getting an explanation not long ago here but they all failed. Seems like no one really knows what it means.

Alan Morrison

Here in the UK the word 'Bespoke' simply means that a business can supply goods custom made for a customer, as well as 'off the shelf'. Furniture manufacturers, kitchen suppliers, tailors, etc. have been using the term for generations to advertise that part of their business. It certainly does not mean 'better than you'.

I, as well as probably half of IAP members, have made pens for customers to their suggestions, ie Bespoke. It does not mean kitless, it does not mean high end, it just means that the customer had an involvement.

The problem is that some people read pretentiousness when they see the word bespoke. Bespoke means bespoke.

I was asked at the weekend to make a pen as a retiring gift to be made from timber from a Church pew and to have a cross in it. I would, by right, be able to post it on IAP and describe it as Bespoke, but some folk would miss out seeing it!!!!!

jrista

This kind of thing is so odd to me... Language is a fairly fluid and dynamic thing. To start a thread like this, over a single word, always baffles me... Its just a darn word... :confused:

What happens when someone really DOES craft a custom pen to order according to the desires of their customer, in other words, truly bespoke? You aren't going to look at those either, because someone else might use the word in a way you don't like?

There is a word that comes to mind that describes such a notion.... 🤷‍♂️

I have found that bespoke is used more often these days. By people who are offering customizations and custom built things. Small companies. Big companies. In all honesty, I haven't found that the word, despite its increased colloquial usage, is "usually" used wrong, in fact, it's usually used correctly, as I understand the definition of "bespoke."

Hippie3180

I think bespoke is used in terms of kitless because it's not a kit. There are many individual and personal choices to make in terms of kitless such as length, shape of barrel, section and cap, blank selection, accent rings, ink windows, clip or no clip, length of section, nib selection all of these things lead to a more personal choice for the maker. I think this is what makes the term "bespoke" pertinent.

Last edited:

Brandy

I don't see why it matters. It's like this argument over the use of the word nurse. Some veterinary technicians have a fit and insist they should be called veterinary nurses while others will freak out if you call them a nurse. It doesn't change what I do or how I do it so call me a technician or a nurse. It makes no difference. I'll still really good at taking care of sick pets and getting videos of really interesting wounds so I can show it to my parents next time I see them.

Darios

I'm not reading threads with the word certain anywhere in the thread, certainly is okay but not certain. Totally.
I used to read threads with the word 'word' in the title. I mean, I still do, but I used to too.

(with apologies to Mitch Hedburg)

Top Bottom