Historical Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bonsaibill

I need 3 blanks of something different or special. Anyone know of any wood available from some s8gnificant source?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikedealer

i never had any luck finding anything.. somebody asked me years ago for something similiar, and were huge yankees fan, and wanted wood maybe from like old stadium or something.. never came across a source.. Ive seen Reclaimed charred whiskey barrel blanks (use them alot for pipe tampers)

for last year or so, ive wanted to make a pen with a meteorite peice in it.. figured would turn down to a rod using sandpaper or diamond plate/lapping fluid and drill it out as like a spacer or something.. never got around to it since ive been lazy. but some meteorites are beautiful and billions of years old so always thought it was cool.

other idea was to use a peice of amber with a bug(s) in it, like in jurassic park.. again. lazy.. ebay sells baltic amber.. cherry amber really nice too but rarer and often faked by chinese with acrylic.

using petrified wood at one point crossed my mind.

always wanted to use Bismuth also, maybe in a acrylic blank, beautiful organic design and patterns.. colors widely vary too which make them really nice.

So going back to your original question.. no, i dont know any lol.. but figured would give ya maybe a few alternate ideas.

Last edited:

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
I have some blanks that are from Wine Barrels in Lodi, CA Home of the Flame Tokay
Grapes. They are 3/4" x 3" approx. Pay for the shipping.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There's a fellow on Woodbarter.com who sells blanks made from the stocks of old Civil War era muskets. They go great on the Civil War pen.

bonsaibill

I have seen in the past presidential witness trees and once made pens from a fig tree that stood on the property line between Edison and Ford's summer homes. Anything interesting that has s good story.

dartman

While not what you are looking for,I have gotten wood from historic buildings from my home town and also from buildings here where I live now.It is a nice feeling when you make a pen and give the recipient the back story.

Top Bottom