sharpening tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I have some carbide tools, but I also have a couple Robert Sorby tools that need sharpening. I don't have the money to buy a grinder and a wolverine setup, or any other sharpening system. (i'm thinking around $50). What would a cheap way to sharpen turning tools be? Can I use a regular grinder on turning tools instead of a slow speed grinder? Any ideas would be appreciated. Not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not, please accept my apologies.
Curt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Curt

Capt. Eddie jokes that you can use a brick to sharpen tools if you know what you are doing.

But seriously, while a slow speed grinder would be nice, there are lots of turners (myself included) who use inexpensive high-speed grinders. The main thing to be aware of is that a high speed grinder will remove metal faster than a low speed grinder. All that really means is that you need to use a MUCH lighter touch to avoid heat and unnecessarily grinding away good steel. The one thing I would suggest is that the standard wheels that come with grinders sold in big box stores are pretty coarse, and you should upgrade to a higher grit aluminum oxide wheel as soon as you can. 80 grit is fine.

You can also use oil stones to sharpen your tools (lubricate with a light machine oil - Three-In-One is a widely known brand). That's a slower approach, but slow is good because it also means that you will sharpen more carefully and remove less steel, and your tools will last longer. Alternatively, diamond stones are great for sharpening - use water with a little dishwashing detergent as a lubricant.

You can use also sanders (belt or disk) to sharpen tools. In fact, you can easily (and inexpensively) make a sanding disk that you run on your lathe that will do a fine job of sharpening tools.

Many turners use grinders or sanders as their primary sharpening devices, but then 'touch up' the edges of their tools using inexpensive diamond cards or paddles. That's smart - use the grinder for basic shaping, and then use the diamond hone to keep the edge sharp without wasting metal.

If you go with a grinder, you can make your own grinding jig from wood and parts from the hardware store.

The main thing is to learn to turn. If you have to start out with less than ideal tools - that's fine, you can always upgrade later.

And if those options aren't good enough, there's always Capt Eddie's brick.

Last edited:

JimB

Shops, Jigs, Tools would be the better forum but it doesn't matter.

To answer your question, yes, you can use a regular grinder with the gray wheels it comes with. You can also build your own jig similar to the wolverine if you want. Depending on the tools you may only need the platform that comes with the grinder.

What tools do you have?

79spitfire

I sharpen my carbide tipped tools, (I have a skew and a gouge) with a diamond card lubed with soap and water. I use an old HF Tormek copy for the steel tools.

Dan Masshardt

What tools are they? Pretty much every tool besides gouges can be honed with a basic diamond hone. Gouges can be too but that's tough.

Belt sander works for skews and some other tools as well.

JimB

I should have mentioned Woodcraft often has the slow speed grinder with the appropriate white wheels on sale for about $100. I know that is double your $50 budget but if you can swing it you could then make your own Wolverine style system from scrap wood and have a very nice system.

CREID

What tools are they? Pretty much every tool besides gouges can be honed with a basic diamond hone. Gouges can be too but that's tough.

Belt sander works for skews and some other tools as well.
roughing gouge, another spindle gouge, and a spindle master which is sharpened differently all together.

CREID

I should have mentioned Woodcraft often has the slow speed grinder with the appropriate white wheels on sale for about $100. I know that is double your $50 budget but if you can swing it you could then make your own Wolverine style system from scrap wood and have a very nice system.
A post above and you mentioned making a wolverine type jig, do you or anyone know of plans for something like that?
Curt

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I have some carbide tools, but I also have a couple Robert Sorby tools that need sharpening. I don't have the money to buy a grinder and a wolverine setup, or any other sharpening system. (i'm thinking around $50). What would a cheap way to sharpen turning tools be? Can I use a regular grinder on turning tools instead of a slow speed grinder? Any ideas would be appreciated. Not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not, please accept my apologies.
Curt

If you buy an inexpensie grinder at HF or ??, you'll end up with higher speed which means more heat and also with poorer wheels. If you can hold off just a bit, Woodcraft sometimes has the Rikon 8" Slow speed grinder for about $100.00 which is more than your budget but it comes with white Aluminum Oxide wheels which would cost you more to buy than the difference between the grinders AND it comes with a diamond wheel dresser. Pretty good bargain. I have one and love it.

As for a grinding jig, here's a wooden Wolverine clone:

http://www.eberhardt.bz/shop_notes/turning/sharpening/jigs/sharpening_jig.pdf

Wingdoctor

Last edited:

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
The Cap'n Eddie Jig is a great inexpensive jig to put an Ellsworth grind on a Bowl gouge but it still needs an arm with v-end to put the jig tail in. See my post which includes a link for plans for the v-arm and also for a platform arm. The v-arm will work with Cap'n Eddies excellent Ellsworth jig. A second here on the Cap's Eddie videos.

CREID

Curt

If you buy an inexpensie grinder at HF or ??, you'll end up with higher speed which means more heat and also with poorer wheels. If you can hold off just a bit, Woodcraft sometimes has the Rikon 8" Slow speed grinder for about $100.00 which is more than your budget but it comes with white Aluminum Oxide wheels which would cost you more to buy than the difference between the grinders AND it comes with a diamond wheel dresser. Pretty good bargain. I have one and love it.

As for a grinding jig, here's a wooden Wolverine clone:

http://www.eberhardt.bz/shop_notes/turning/sharpening/jigs/sharpening_jig.pdf
thanks, i'll check it out.
Curt

CREID

Captain Eddie has the plans on his website. This is a great site for info on how to do or make something related to turning. The link to the sharpening jig is: http://eddiecastelin.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/2_jig_121410.133190118.pdf

His home page is: Big Guy Productions - New Products are on their way, check the Cutters Only page.
Captain Eddie has been in the hospital for a while and I believe he may be home. His U-Tube videos are excellent learning tools.
Thanks for the link, capt eddie has tons of videos and hard to find one that someone is talking about. I like the capt eddie videos, find them entertaining even the ones about something i'm not interested in. He should have been in pictures.
Curt

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I have the Wolverine jig set up and like it a lot. Before I could cough up the $$ to get it I used the jigs found here: Wood Turning Tools: Sharpening Jig (3) for years and they worked well, just not as convenient. If you're a woodworker the jigs shown and explained on the Around the Woods web site should get you in good shape.
HTH
WB

TonyL

Send them too me, postage that's all. I have the stuff. Not the most practical, but happy to do it.

Cmiles1985

If you have a turning club near you, join them. There will be plenty of folks there that can help you get started in sharpening (and will likely help you sharpen your tools at meetings in the meantime).

79spitfire

I sharpen my carbide tipped tools, (I have a skew and a gouge) with a diamond card lubed with soap and water. I use an old HF Tormek copy for the steel tools.
I looked at HB but didn't see this, do they still make it?
Curt
I don't think they do, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone, It's always been a bit wonky to use. It looked to be an exact copy (except in orange) of the Tormek unit, with a tray under the grinder wheel to put water in.

CREID

Send them too me, postage that's all. I have the stuff. Not the most practical, but happy to do it.
thanks, but I usually notice I need to sharpen when i'm in the middle of a project. Right now I also carve so I sharpen like I sharpen my carving tools (time consuming), except most of time carving tools just need a little stropping.
Curt

dartman

I made a wood wheel for my regular bench grinder.I used wood and glued
leather on the face.It works the same as when a barber strops his razor
before giving a shave.Just a light touch gives a nice edge and is easy to
touch up.

Top Bottom