Hello!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toepick93

Hi my name is Madison, I'm 21. I have never turned anything actually but I have been watching videos for the past week and I just ordered my mini lathe today. I'm putting in an order for some kits and blanks and other such things later this week.I actually didn't even know pen turning was a thing until about two weeks ago. I was trying to decide what to get my boyfriend for christmas this year and I had absolutely no idea. I know he's crazy about nice, original, unique pens so I was just digging around the internet to possibly find some cool fountain pens and a you tube video on turning popped up! I watched one. Then I watched about fifty more. I am so intrigued. I love working with my hands. I love creating things out of raw materials. I am also an ice carver and I've made stained glass, glass sculptures, chocolate and sugar sculptures, and i love metal working and wood working (even if I'm not very experienced in the last two items). So I guess I'm just on here to learn and get inspiration. I'm extremely interested in creating my own blanks out of crazy things like cherry pits, pine cones, corn cobs, and anything culinary related (I'm receiving a bachelors in culinary arts/baking and pastry in may)! So if you have any ideas for crazy food related blanks let me know!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBrackett

Welcome on board! I'm new to this also. Look and see if there is a wood turning guild or club in your area. I found one in the next county and they are very friendly and helpful. Learning from someone will make for a greater experience on your journey.

Sub Vet 10

Welcome to the addiction Madison.
I was not able to do much networking when I was in Norfolk, but I would look around for any nearby Woodcraft (or similar) stores and definitely check out the group forums. A lot of little things can greatly increase the learning curve/enjoyment level.

Cheers,
Brandon

PeetyInMich

Hello, and welcome from Monroe Michigan. It sounds like our boyfriend is a lucky man. I have seen coffee bean and tri color pasta blanks recently (along with the pit, pinecone, and cactus blanks). Congrats on taking the plunge and buying the lathe (now it starts to get expensive). The suggestions to find a local turning group are great advice to help you (and hopefully your BF) get through the tougher parts of the learning curve, and also decide where you want to go creatively. enjoy what this site has to offer, ask questions and post pictures of your creations.

Top Bottom