Hello from Matt in Marietta ,GA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FamousAmos

New to the forum and wanted to say hello . I go by Matt or Amos . I've done a little wood work here and there in the past and went to a craft show with my wife a couple weekends back and met a Pen Maker named Wayne Jordy . He spent so much time with us and you could tell how much he loved turning pens. So.....since that time I have been looking at lathes and thinking about clearing out some room in my shop area .I'd be willing to come sweep the shop for anyone local who would be willing to give me a few pointers about getting started :) . I also have a long term friend who builds pool cues and lathes for making cues, I was thinking about talking to him about his lathes and see if I could do Pens and Cues on it .I used to run and electronic repair shop so if I can be of help on here in that area I am glad to help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

Welcome to the group, my daughter spent about 1 1/2 years there she worked at the Lockheed Martin Facility. Actually lived in Kennasaw.

She is now is Denver Colorado

scottsheapens

I used to live in Roswell but in Cobb County right off Post Oak Tritt. Welcome to the wonderful world of pen turning. I am currently looking for a job after getting laid off a couple of weeks ago, so I might be headed back to the ATL area. I've been turning for about 4 years. It is a great hobby.

turncrazy43

Matt, welcome to the forum. I recall you visited my booth at the craft show. Glad you are interested in turning. As Warren said, come to our chapter meeting at Woodcraft on 12/27/14 at 10:00am to 3:30PM. Give me a call I would be glad to help with the pointers.

turncrazy43

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. Glad you are interested in pen turning. As Warren said come to our meeting at Woodcraft on 12/27/14, (10:00AM to 3:30PM). I remember you stopped by my booth at the craft show. Give me a call I would be glad to help with pointers.

FamousAmos

Thanks Wayne

Matt, welcome to the forum. I recall you visited my booth at the craft show. Glad you are interested in turning. As Warren said, come to our chapter meeting at Woodcraft on 12/27/14 at 10:00am to 3:30PM. Give me a call I would be glad to help with the pointers.
I may be giving you a call soon or sometime next week

FamousAmos

Uh Oh

Welcome Matt, pens are just the beginning.
Well Gary , I made a deal with my wife Lisa that before I even bought a lathe I would clean out the garages.........I have 3 of 4 shop bays approved by her as of this morning .:biggrin: I don't think she realizes that nature abhors a vacuum .:eek: It will fill up again I'm sure and hoping for enjoyable and beautiful creations. I ran a tv shop from 1996-2010 ,so I still had about 18 plasma screens that are now on the way to the recycle stop.

walshjp17

Welcome aboard, Matt.

Attending an AAW or pen turning group meeting is a great first step. One of the best woodturners in the US lives in Marietta -- Nick Cook -- and he offers one-on-one training sessions in his shop. Once you get going, if you want to take it to the next level, you may want to consider contacting Nick (Nick Cook Woodturner - Articles).

Gary Beasley

Welcome Matt, pens are just the beginning.
Well Gary , I made a deal with my wife Lisa that before I even bought a lathe I would clean out the garages.........I have 3 of 4 shop bays approved by her as of this morning .:biggrin: I don't think she realizes that nature abhors a vacuum .:eek: It will fill up again I'm sure and hoping for enjoyable and beautiful creations. I ran a tv shop from 1996-2010 ,so I still had about 18 plasma screens that are now on the way to the recycle stop.

You will wind up with a boatload of wood stored for turning. You should come by the house sometime and get some pen blanks to play with.

Top Bottom